Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a pull up bar on brick wall?

Dice
Just Starting Out

How to hang a pull up bar on brick wall?

Hi I want to hang a pull up bar under my patio and on my brick wall however I'm concerned about the anchors coming loose and hurting myself or others who use it I weigh 110 kg, is this bad idea? Or is there anything I can use to make it safe? Image of wall bellow

16328055406523263358038540806424.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: I want to hang a pull up bar on my wall

I am guessing that you have no post to anchor the other end to?

You will have to deal with leverage the further out from the wall you go if one end is unsupported,

A guide could be an engine crane that goes from 1000kg capacity to 250kg over a relatively short distance.

Fixing to a post would lower the strain on the wall, bricks can hold around 210kg per cm2.

I would use a chemical as well as a mechanical fastener and avoid placing in a mortar joint and no multiple fasteners in the one brick, the more spread out they can be the better and given the load the top ones would take most of the load.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about mounting a pull-up bar on your wall.

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Brad. I agree with his assessment that if you only mount your bar on one side of the wall a great deal of stress will be put on that wall. I suggest relocating your pull-up bar and building it independently of the house. In this manner, it will not affect the structure of the house in any way.

I've placed an example at the bottom for you to see. It would be better to have your pull-up bar in an open space somewhere in the garden. You can exercise freely without having to worry about hitting your head on the ceiling. Please have a look at the sketch and tell me if it will work for your location.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dice
Just Starting Out

Thank you for the response unfortunately I want to have a low profile as I don have that much room to work with, and the backyard is concrete and nowhere to place the posts, I'm still at home at the moment and plan on moving out in a few years and want to keep a low profile. I will have a good look around and see if there's an appropriate location for it, but most of the surrounding area is concrete and the only place I can think of is the front yard and not sure if Ma would be cool with that. Pair that with getting her to exercise in the front yard would be so much harder that the back yard. Though there may be a space, I'll check when I can.

Edit

... Nevermind I might have the perfect plan that allows for support, utilising an idea I found in YouTube https://youtu.be/Tdxb3RXqdI4

The idea is I have the borders of the mat as holes to place and brace the supports, and I can pack it away at the end, going to work designs now will post again later.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dice

Just to give you ideas, I suggest using Pryda Post Anchor Bolt Down w/ Raised Mount 90mm M10 to mount the post on the cement floor. I recomend having a discussion with your mum about your plans and see if she warms up to it. If you tell her that it is for your fitness and that it can be dismantled when the time comes for you to move, she might be receptive to the idea. Would you mind posting a picture of your backyard? This will give our members a better idea of your area and will allow us to offer you an alternate mounting spot for your pull-up bar.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects