Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install dual timber gates?

g-bhushan
Finding My Feet

How to install dual timber gates?

Hi all, I have a side opening of 1800mm, and I am keen to install two gates to open wide when needed - how can I achieve it? Can I do it with two SpecRite 1833 x 900mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Horizontal Slat Gates? Any other ideas are welcome. Also - how do I put a post on my wall?

IMG_6502.jpegIMG_6501.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install dual timber gates?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @g-bhushan. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing dual timber gates.

You could certainly use the SpecRite 1833 x 900mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Horizontal Slat Gate for your project. You'll need a set of Zenith Galvanised Right Hand Ball Bearing Gate Hinges and a set of Zenith Galvanised Left Hand Ball Bearing Gate Steel To Timber Hinges

As your gap is 1800mm and the gates together are 1800mm, that doesn't leave any room for a post. Unless you could mount the timber to the wall and then mount the hinge to the side face of the timber. If it's a brick wall, you could fix the hinges directly to it. If there is enough room for a post or at least a 90 x 45mm mounting timber, you can use Dynabolts to connect it to a brick wall.

I created a few renderings for you below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

G1.pngG2.pngG3.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc- that's very helpful. Will give it a go this weekend and let you know. 

Regards, 

Gokul.

Keep us updated, @g-bhushan and let me know if you encounter any difficulties over the weekend. I and our helpful members will be here to assist.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Looking forward to seeing the finished gate(s).  👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects