Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install external roll up blind?

itoen
Finding My Feet

How to install external roll up blind?

I recently bought this product from bunnings https://www.bunnings.com.au/windoware-2-1m-outdoor-roll-up-blind-1500mm-x-2100mm-northern-sands_p126...

but have no idea how or where to attach it on the exterior of the window. I'm not sure if the soffit is structurally strong enough to be able to hold 2 pieces of the exterior blinds as I can physically lift them when I push my hand up onto them

windows.jpg

Any guidance would be appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install external roll up blind?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @itoen. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Depending on how the eaves were constructed there should be some solid timbers behind the eave sheet as per the image below. You might be able to find them by looking for lines of nails which should correspond to them. Alternatively, you might need to install a piece of Woodhouse Weatherproof 66 x 42mm 5.4m F7 H3 LOSP Treated And Primed Finger Jointed Structural Pine across the length of the window to provide a solid mounting point. A stud detector will be helpful in finding roof timbers behind the eave sheet.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I dont think the blind is designed to be installed on the eve, it would put too much weight on the screws. So how am i supposed to install this on my window as pictured?

20220104_192013.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

@Cander 

As illustrated by Mitchell above, there will be beams behind the eaves - locate those and screw the brackets into them. If it's like mine the brackets don't have to be evenly spaced. The blind then 'pushes' onto the brackets and locks on.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Cander 

Let me first give you a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop Community! Pleased to have you with us and thank you for your question about roller blinds.

Can I confirm which roller blind product you have purchased or looking at purchasing? 

@Noyade has given some great advice and our resident DIY pro @MitchellMc might have some more tips when he comes online. 

Katie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Cander

In reference to the suggestion made by my colleague @MitchellMc, I've placed a photo of your window and the location of where the timber piece should be attached. I recommend tracking the timber rafters under the eve so that you will know where to screw the timber to. Once the timber has been secured, you can then mount the roller blind to the timber piece. Please have a look below and if you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects