Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to loosen pool glass stuck in spigot?

ADV
Getting Established

How to loosen pool glass stuck in spigot?

Hi, I need to lift a panel up about a cm.  The screws are loose but the glass is stuck to the rubber/plastic packer.  Any ideas on how to remove/loosen it etc.  Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: pool glass stuck in spigot

That's a bummer, @ADV. Have you tried early on in the morning when the rubber hasn't been heated by the sun and become sticky?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ADV
Getting Established

Re: pool glass stuck in spigot

Nope, good idea, will have a go in the morning.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to loosen pool glass stuck in spigot?

Hi @ADV , 

@EricL idea using WD40 is good, just to add to this, try running a fishing line between the glass panel and the rubber support, this should free up the seal between the glass and rubber, this will also tell you if there is another obstruction as suggested by @MitchellMc 

ADV
Getting Established

Thanks mate

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love the fishing line idea @JoeAzza! Dental floss will work in a pinch, too.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you haven't removed car badges with fishing line before @ADV, the process works best if you keep the line taught and use a sawing action.

Mitchell

ADV
Getting Established

No luck yet.  Tried the fishing line and it catches at the height of the first screw, almost as if there's something in there.  I pushed a sharp thin knife down the spigot and it hit the same thing at the same height.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ADV

I suggest getting an extra pair of hands to hold the glass up from the bottom while trying to do the fishing line technique. I suspect that the spot you're hitting is the holding point of the glass. It might be necessary to relieve the pressure being exerted on it by having an extra pair of hands. I propose doing a combination of the WD40 and fishing line to make the line pass through easily between the spigot and the glass panel. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know,

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest checking for the possibility of a protective sleeve running through the spigot and the glass. 

If so, you'll need to make or find a wooden punch at the right diameter to push it out.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects