Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make a pebbles and pavers path?

DIYer2024
Finding My Feet

How to make a pebbles and pavers path?

Hello everyone

I'm very new to DIYing. So I'm seeking advice from this helpful community.

I'd like to add pebbles to the footpath on both sides of my house. The footpath makes up altogether 35sq metres.

My plan is to add pavers with pebbles in between to make the footpath look like the attached picture.

I have also included the images of what the footpath looks like now.

My plan:

1) To get rid of the weed by using Hortico weed & green product.

2) To add crusher's dust to level off the surface as it is slightly slopy as seen on the photos.

3) Add Saxon weed mat on top of crusher's dust for the entirety of the surface.

4) Start putting the pavers (600X300X40mm) that I got from Bunnings at the gap of about 150mm in between.

5) Add pebbles to fill the gaps between the pavers and on the sides.

Does this sound okay?

Have I missed anything?

What size pebbles would be required here to make it look like the attached result?

TIA.

20231222_134751.png

20231221_155002.jpg

20231222_151458.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to add pebbles and pavers to the footpath properly

Hi @DIYer2024 

ok  your  plan is on the right track. I i can offer experience to fine tune your plans I aim to save you extra work and try keep costs down at the same time give you your desired results.

costing tips 

Each delivery costs approx $80 per delivrery so see if they can deliver crusher dust and pebbles on the same load they usually can with a  board separating the two materials will save you $  . It is better to slightly over estimate materials  quantities than under estimate.

The picture guide you desire is indicating approx  20mm stone size as a guide. 

Add your crusher dust to level no need to tamp it down much as rain will do this fast. 

Add you weed mat tape the folds down if any to the weed mat as they pop up out of pebbles at time,

Lay 20mm deep top pebbles then add pavers fill  10mm all around pavers un less they quite  thick. 

You  said 35 m/2  x 50 mm of stones as a minimum  thickness so 35 x0.05= 1.75 to 2.5  cubic meters of top stones  Most landscape suppliers use tonnes  or bucket scopes for pricing so get them to convert  from 1.75 cubic meters and estimate cost.

50mm of stone will give better coverage looks so it  dosnt become patchy/

Your on the right track  :smile:

Thank you for your reply @Jewelleryrescue 

Really helpful tips that I will be using. Just a few follow-up queries:

1) I'm now thinking that river pebbles slightly bigger than 20mm might look more aesthetic.

Q1a) Can you please suggest what the pebble size used in this project might be? https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Side-yard-paving-and-bike-shelter/ta-p/732...

2) I was thinking of a total fill depth (crushers dust + pebbles) of 200mm. I chose this height as my reference because that's the height of the patio from the ground level. Once the crushers dust (I'm ordering a total of 5 tons for both sides - any leftover will be used for another project) takes up Xmm of depth, I was thinking of filling the difference between 200mm-Xmm with pebbles. Out of the total 35sqm, only 13sqm will need pebbling as the rest of the area will be taken up by the pavers themselves.

Q2a) What quantity of pebbles would I now be looking at here? 

Q2b) Does this plan sound less than desirable to achieve the outcome that looks similar to the project link I included above?

3) Lastly, I was thinking of having a spacing of 150mm between the pavers (600X300X40mm) to achieve the result similar to the first photo in my initial post.

Q3a) Is 150mm too wide/too narrow?

Thank you.

Hi @DIYer2024 

The top pebble is 100% down to your personal taste as to colour texture and size so  enjoy picking them out. :smile: .  River pebbles  are  fine too/  The white quartz in the 2nd  project is  also 20mm sizing. Meaning the largest pebble size that can fit through a 20mm grill. so rocks  can be smaller too. 

Gaps  between pavers is normally easy stepping distance. So 150mm gap is  fine this is practicality more than looks. measure 150mm on the ground and step over it is it easy? Or adjust as  required.

Your top layer of pebbles should be at lest 50mm thick to have respectable coverage.

Enjoy  your project

And your patio step is 200mm Your stones should be level  with this. therefore  200mm - 50mm equals 150mm crusher depth.

Some  would argue you should not  add materials  past the damp course (ie weep holes in the bricks. but I think stone will be ok not to redirect water flow.)

Your pebble  area is  13m2  x depth of stones at 50mm is    13 x 0.05 = 0.65m3  add a bit as back up 

[0.8 cubic meters]

You allready know your square meter sizing  so simply multiply you Meters Squared by stone depth eg 10cm  is

Can't appreciate your advice enough, @Jewelleryrescue . Thanks a lot, mate!!  😊 🙏

Your  welcome @DIYer2024 

Have a great day and enjoy your DIY s  :smile:

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DIYer2024. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating side pathways.

It's wonderful to see that one of our knowledgeable members @Jewelleryrescue, has already provided some fantastic assistance. I would only add that for the cost of hiring a compactor for a few hours, I believe compacting your crusher dust base is a good assurance that you won't see your pavers subside over time.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and we can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, Mitchell. Appreciate your advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects