Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to move rainwater pipe to rainwater drain?

Hoang
Getting Established

How to move rainwater pipe to rainwater drain?

Hello everyone,

My end goal is to remove my rainwater tank. The tank itself looks easy enough and I believe I can manage that on my own so my question does not have anything to do with the tank.

IMG_1290.JPG

The tricky bit is redirecting the rainwater pipe into the rainwater drain and that is my main question today.

The reason why I am asking this today is because I've had quotes over $450 just to redirect the rainwater pipe and think that it is a bit much for this job (if it's as easy as I think it is).

I have done some research and I think it looks straight forward enough but I wanted to get some more experienced advice and confirmation that I understand it correctly.

MAIN QUESTION:

How do I redirect the rainwater pipe away from the rainwater tank and into the rainwater drain?

Here are the steps I think are needed to redirect the rainwater pipe:

1. Cut off the existing pipe joint leading into the watertank

2. Purchase the required pipes and pipe joint

3. Place the new pipe joint and pipe to direct the water into the drain

4. Glue the pipe joint and pipes using the purple and clear stuff (not sure what they are exactly yet but I have seen them on YouTube videos)

Here are my follow up questions:

Q1. Is there someway to reuse the pipe joints or would I have to cut out the existing ones and purchase new ones?

Q2. If I can reuse the pipe joints, how do I undo them since they are glued together?

Q3. Are my steps correct?

Q4. Is it more complicated than I though and I should get a professional to do this?

Thank you for your assistance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to move rainwater pipe to rainwater drain?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Hoang. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about stormwater drainage.

Please be advised that in some states (like N.S.W), you require a qualified tradesperson to work on roof drainage. The actual redirection of drainage pipes is straightforward and as you have described. Though, depending on where you are re-directing the pipes, certain fall per metre requirements need to be adhered to.

Unless the pipe joints haven't been glued, there's no way to reuse them or get them apart. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Hoang
Getting Established

Dear Mitchell,

Thank you for the quick response.

In relation to the fall per metre requirements, where can I find this information? I live in the ACT.

Regards,

Hoang.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Hoang,

The Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards AS/NZS 3500.3 Plumbing and Drainage/Stormwater Drainage is where the requirements are found.

Instead of being perfectly flat and obviously not uphill, your horizontal lengths just need to have some fall to them. Even 10mm over one meter would be more than sufficient.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Hoang
Getting Established

Dear Mitchell,

Great! That information has been very helpful.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hoang

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects