Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove Pebblecrete for possible tiling or paving?

hayden13
Finding My Feet

How to remove Pebblecrete for possible tiling or paving?

hello would like to remove pebblecrete and maybe tile or put pavers down i was under the impression that pebblecrete 

is applied on top of a concerete slab so i would have to hammer demo the top layer then a slab would be exposed?

looking at the side of the slab it looks like the pebblecrete is mixed in the slab i have attached a few photos to see what you all think.

Thanks heaps.

haydo

IMG20220225185004.jpgIMG20220225185010.jpgIMG20220225185026.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove Pebblecrete for possible tiling or paving?

I think if you try to get through the peble layer with a hammering tool you risk cracking the slab. Grinding is an option to flatten it out but as a DIY job on a resonable sized area it would be challenging on your body. If height is not an issue I would use a levelling cement before laying the tiles/pavers.

Dingo self levelling cement 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hayden13

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Brad. Looking at your pictures it appears that the pebblecrete could have been mixed in with the slab. One way to test it is to grab a hammer and a chisel and test a small hidden corner of the area. If the pebblecrete comes off like a piece of biscuit, as in it has its own layer apart from the main slab, it can be taken off. 

If the area is large, I suggest hiring an electric hack hammer with a wide blade and trolley. However, you can always hire the job out through Hipages or Airtasker. Please keep in mind that this is on the condition that the pebblecrete is on its own layer. But if it is right on top of the slab, you'll have to consider cementing the top.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

electric jack ham.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply gives me some stuff to think about.

so it is possible to concrete a fresh layer over pebblecrete ?

thanks,

hello,

thanks very much for the reply,

ill do a test area

so is it ok to cement a layer over the top of old pebblecrete?

thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hayden13

If you were to put cement on top of the pebblecrete, it would have to be a very thick coat. The problem with putting cement on top is that you can't tell which part of the pebblecrete is weak. So by placing cement over the weak spot it will compromise its strength. It could crack, it could leak and it could affect the other areas of the cement work. That is why it is better to remove it, rather than cement over it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects