Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove tannins from H3 Treated Pine?

Taylorpwa
Growing in Experience

How to remove tannins from H3 Treated Pine?

I have recently purchased h3 treated pine decking to use as a security screen along my pergola, I was just about to paint the wood and then read that they are susceptible to bleed tannins 

When using the tannin removal by integrain can you wash it off on to bricks or grass?  And once treating for the tannins how long would you typically let the wood dry before painting? 

Thanks in advance :smile:

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove tannins from H3 Treated Pine?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Taylorpwa. We're delighted to have you join us and hope you find this site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be able to assist once he's back online on the site. In the meantime, let me tag some of our helpful members @Bankzee@diy_hausdesigns and @EleventhCoastal to see if they have any thoughts. 

Good luck with your project. I look forward to seeing updates of your security screen project as it progresses.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bankzee
Having an Impact

@Taylorpwa 

Hi Taylor. When I built the privacy screen for my pergola I used Merbau which arguably is one of the heaviest bleeders of tannins when it gets wet however I wanted to still retain the deep red that the tannins provide so I addressed this by preventing its exposure to weather and put a backing of corrugated iron on the external facing part of the privacy screen. May not be viable in your situation but there for consideration. 

Taylorpwa
Growing in Experience

Best wood for screening?

I am going to build a privacy screen along my pergola from top to bottom, I am going to paint it all white

I am just hoping to find out what was the best wood to use?:

I was hoping to use the h3 treated pine decking as I am needing about 270 lineal meters and it is quite affordable but I am not sure if that's the best option.

Thanks in advance

20230906_111748.jpg

Re: Best wood for screening?

Hello @Taylorpwa,

This is such an exciting project! I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be able to offer some suggestions on the type of wood for your privacy screen.

In the meantime though, I wanted to share some resources that may help. 

I'd recommend reading the following guides by experienced Workshop member Adam Woodhams (@Adam_W) : How to choose the right timber for the job and How to build privacy screening.

And if you're after some project inspiration, don't miss the Top 10 most popular screening projects shared on Workshop and these 10 screening ideas for outdoor areas.

Do keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result.

Akanksha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Taylorpwa,

As @Bankzee has mentioned, timber like Merbau is more of a concern for tannins. Pine doesn't contain anywhere near as many tannins but can be susceptible to knot bleed. Knot bleed is the resin being pushed from where the limbs were attached. Tannin removal products will not help with knot bleed; the only way to stop that is to seal the knots on the boards. The most suitable product we would have for this purpose would be Zinsser 3.78L CoverStain Primer Sealer Stain Killer. I'd recommend two coats over any sections with knots, or you might like to prime all the timber with this product.

The other option is to use timber that's more suitable for screening such as 68 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine FJ Primed Pencil Round LOSP. Due to the higher grade finish, it would cost more than using the treated Pine decking.

It's not advisable to wash off tannin removal products onto hard surfaces or grass. If you were to do so, you'd need to flush the areas well with fresh water to prevent damage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Re: Best wood for screening?

IMG_1186.jpeg

Hi Taylor. Check out the photos of my pergola privacy screen. I used some Bunnings bamboo screens to break up the horizontal wall. Might give you some ideas. Happy to answer questions if you have any. 

Taylorpwa
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thankyou for the reply

I am thinking about fixing the boards up on the pergola and leaving it 6-8 weeks before sealing and painting or do you think with the h3 treated pine decking I should be able to prime and paint straight away as it is lower in tannins?

I will seal the ends before fixing them all up as I believe this will help with warping etc?

Thankyou so much for your advice, I thought wood was wood! 

How wrong was I?! Haha

Hi @Taylorpwa,

The weathering process is only required for timbers high in tannins like Merbau. Treated Pine requires no such weathering process, so you should be right to paint it immediately. Sealing or painting the ends would help reduce warping, but the timber has already been well seasoned to reduce this risk.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects