Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a fence?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to repair a fence?

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 15.01.37.jpg

Hi All,

I'm planning to fix some old wooden fence that is coming out. I was wondering which nail gun should be able to support and strong enough to nail it back. The nail should be circa 39-40mm length. The last time i did was doing manual hammering and wasnt done in a good job. Hope to get one that does the job and doesn burn tthe pocket. Looking at range below AUD150

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a fence?

Hello @calccom21 

You are absolutely right, adding a nail gun to your toolset is a bit of an investment. But can you imagine the projects and repairs you can accomplish with such a tool. My only tip is to look at your existing tool set and see what type of battery system you have. Do you have Ryobi, AEG, or DeWalt? Purchasing a tool that has the same battery as your drill will be advantageous. It will automatically double the number of batteries you can use on your nail gun. Please don't make the mistake of buying a brad nailer as these are meant for furniture projects and minor repairs. 

One of the reasons that nails pull out of timber is because that timber has softened and turned rotten. If that is the case, I suggest changing the rail in your fence before you attempt to nail the palings back on.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @calccom21 

Personally - I'm a screw man. I have a variety of nail guns, but no longer use them.

However this particular T-style head - I did once upon a time find quite useful, especially for something like the above. Dunno if they still make them? Or the gun - Bostitch I think?

So, as per @EricL 's suggestion I would get the wood quality/condition sorted out - and screw. 😁

20230223_100911.jpg

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks All..I haven't got any cordless tool. Any too with reasonable price that will support the job will be good. Plus I'm planning to do decking as well so might want the nail gun able to handle it as well

@calccom21 I have the same problem with palings coming off the rails, I have a nail gun, however, I found that using 60 mm countersunk screws work well, as long as the the fence rail is in good condition, just make sure you use outdoor screws.

JoeAzza_0-1677155779515.png

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks let me go Bunnings have a look. Btw I wanted to get a cordless drill set. I saw this xu1

https://www.bunnings.com.au/xu1-blue-18volt-cordless-drill-driver-kit_p0091352

Does anyone know if this also support hex screwdriver bit? If yes, do I need a converter?

Hi @calccom21,

The XU1 Blue 18Volt Cordless Drill Driver Kit is compatible with hex screwdriver bits, and no converter is needed. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks . Also is it good enough about to do the decking job if I'm planning to install decking myself as wouldnt want to risk/waste to get another tool

If you were going to use the drill to install all the decking boards @calccom21, I'd suggest you invest in a slightly more premium unit.  The XU1 Blue 18Volt Cordless Drill Driver Kit will do the job but will struggle. I'd recommend the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 2.0Ah Drill Driver Kit as it comes with a slightly larger battery and is far superior to the XU1. Its battery is also compatible with all the other One+ Ryobi tools.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc  and I believe it can also take hex screwdriver bit and no converter needed?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects