Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair folding clothesline?

thewater8oy
Just Starting Out

How to repair folding clothesline?

image001 (1).jpg

Our son has hung off the right side of the clothesline and it's no longer level. It keeps dropping. 

How can I fix this??

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair folding clothesline?

Hi @thewater8oy,

Can you please clarify what has broken? Has the clothesline come off its mounting on the fence or is it simply that the folding mechanism has been damaged and one side will no longer stay fully upright? Is there any physical damage that you can see and can capture in a photo? Please let us know and we can try to assist. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you join us. We trust that you'll get plenty of inspiration and advice for all your projects around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I remember me and my brothers driving dad nuts by swinging on the Hills Hoist.

And we were teenagers! :unhappy:

Is it possible nothing's damaged? Other then some slight warping of what I presume is thin metal square tube?

Could someone hold the left hand side steady while you push up from the right hand side? May only require a moderate force to re-level?

Hi Jason, the clothesline is still in tact. The right side no longer sits horizontal and slouches down as it seems to have lost its tension. The right side sits a few cms lower. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @thewater8oy

I'm afraid that there are two possibilities that have occurred to your washing line. It is as @Noyade has mentioned, the metal square tube has warped inside the mounting end. The other possibility is that the locking mechanism has warped inside and bent due to the weight applied to it. 

Repairing it will require you to disassemble the locking mechanism and straighten out the bent parts. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the locking mechanism at the end of your clothesline? Our members will then be able to assess its current condition. We can then offer you possible repair options.   

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

Deez
Just Starting Out

@thewater8oy 

Hi
Were you able to fix this?
If so - how?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Deez.

Sounds like your clothesline is broken too. Feel free to share some photos - we would be happy to help.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Deez

If you're in the same situation, please make sure to take a closer photo of the folding mechanism. Each clothesline manufacturer has their own system. This will let our members assess the condition of your clothesline. We can then make recommendations on possible ways to repair it. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

MatthewH
Just Starting Out

We are in a similar situation. We have a Hills folding clothesline which we bought from Bunnings late last year. On the weekend there was a very high wind which forced the clothesline to fold down. The frame was undamaged but when in the Locked position the left hand side now droops because the hinge seems to have been damaged. These photos show that the marking on the LH arm no longer matches up with the Locked icon. As a consequence the usability of the clothesline is greatly impaired. My question is whether there is a simple fix I could try? If not then I will bring it back to Bunnings because it is under warranty and was not damaged as the result of any misuse.

Thanks!

droopingdroopingpushed up into the correct positionpushed up into the correct position

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MatthewH. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about folding clotheslines.

If the internal mechanism has been damaged, it doesn't appear like there is much you could do yourself to resolve the issue. Was it just the wind that caused it to fold down, or did something heavy strike it?  I can see that the installation bolts seemed to have pulled out of the wall, though this might be just a trick of the camera. Are you using Dynabolts or normal bolts, and did this also happen during the high winds?

Even though we had some extreme winds, I suspect that you might have had a faulty mechanism, and the winds were just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'd suggest returning the clothesline to your nearest store and having it swapped over under warranty.

Please let us know if you need assistance with installing the new clothesline or have questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects