Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair old pine log fence/barrier?

MSSM
Finding My Feet

How to repair old pine log fence/barrier?

Hi,
I have an old fence/barrier made of treated pine logs bolted to plates and these are bolted to very large metal posts/girders. The plates and bolts are rusted through and the pine logs are splitting. I can't find any replacement plates nor brackets. How should I attack this?
Thanks!

20240323_155215.jpg20240323_155236.jpg20240323_155315.jpg20240323_155526.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair old pine log fence/barrier?

Hi @MSSM 

You would probably need to modify the bracket in order for it to work. Especially if you used a large bracket such as the Dunnings 100 x 100 x 35mm M10 Galvanised Angle Bracket. The holes would need to be enlarged and relocated so that it supports the posts properly.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"It would need to be a bracket that can be mounted through a single M16 hole. I can't find any like that."

Morning @MSSM 

You could possibly utilise the same steel plates and bolts you already have - bring it to the post with the brackets mentioned above mounted to support the posts. Possibly bending the lips for a better fit around the logs. But that plate is thick - you mentioned 8mm on the previous page. I'd be using a drill press.

Just a thought.

20240416_075351.jpg

EDIT ; Just realised! You already have the holes! 😁 Via the coach screws.

No need for a drill press.

MSSM
Finding My Feet

Very interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I will consider this option.

Thanks!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

However, be aware @MSSM - that looking at your second photo from the bottom, it's most likely when you place the plate and bolt hard against the post - there will be no thread for your nut on the other side. You'll probably need shorter bolts. Hard to tell from this side of the monitor.

Cheers and good luck!

bolt.PNG

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @MSSM 

When you say "rusted through" are there others that are in worse state then the brackets you have shown? These look like they could be removed, cleaned and rust converted back to be used  again if you wanted.

The state the rails are in look like they are at the end of their useful life as rails. You could also bolt (using the holes for the rails) a vertical piece of timber to the metal post that may give you more freedom in what rails you could use? And Just had a thought that depending on what type of rails you need, would a wire fence work? That way the vertical timber posts attached to the metal backing would work.

Dave

MSSM
Finding My Feet

Yeah for sure, but I'd want to replace the M16 bolts anyway.

I'll need to sit down with a coffee on the weekend, put my thinking cap on, crunch some numbers, and figure out my preferred option.

MSSM
Finding My Feet

Yes, I've already been advised that there's nothing really wrong with the plates.

It's just the logs and bolts that are the problem.

I want to keep it looking the same.

Not all the logs are that bad, and not all attachment points are the same. I'll have a think about it and price it up on the weekend.

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MSSM 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing what configuration you'll be using for your fence.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MSSM
Finding My Feet

It's a spectator sport that hopefully won't turn into a comedy 😅

MSSM
Finding My Feet

It's on hold because Bunnings is totally out of stock of treated pine posts of any kind.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects