Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair old pine log fence/barrier?

MSSM
Finding My Feet

How to repair old pine log fence/barrier?

Hi,
I have an old fence/barrier made of treated pine logs bolted to plates and these are bolted to very large metal posts/girders. The plates and bolts are rusted through and the pine logs are splitting. I can't find any replacement plates nor brackets. How should I attack this?
Thanks!

20240323_155215.jpg20240323_155236.jpg20240323_155315.jpg20240323_155526.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair old pine log fence/barrier?

Hi @MSSM,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Unfortunately, I think the logs may be too split to simply replace the bracket and fixings. The closest options I can find for you to replace the round logs are 150mm 3.0m Pole H3 Treated Pine Radiata Round or 115mm 3.0m H4 Pole Treated Pine. Please keep in mind that you would need to check with your local store whether they keep these in stock or would need to Special Order them, as stocked items may vary from store to store.

If you are looking to replace the rusted brackets and fixings, I suggest using Dunnings 140 x 40mm Galvanised Metal Plate. While not the exact same dimensions, it should be adequate for this purpose. To fix this plate to the post I suggest using Zenith M10 x 150mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolt and attaching this to the logs using Zenith M10 x 90mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Coach Screws.

If you were looking to remove the existing barrier all together, might I suggest having a look at these handy articles on fencing:

You might also like to check out the range of fencing options available from RapidFence.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon/evening @MSSM 

Is your plan to replace the round logs with new round logs? Still 125mm diameter?

How many brackets do you need?

Yours look home made with very thick flat plate.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Just some pre-lunch Sunday doodles.

Hi @JacobZ  - the links to the pine rounds above aren't working for me?

But should @MSSM be interested in downsizing to 100mm diameter Pine Logs I'm keen to help fabricate something for you, like the top left.

See what you think.

Cheers.

20240414_115703.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

Timber availability can be location-specific, so it sounds like those items are unavailable in your area. You might find this link works better for you: 150mm 3.0m Pole H4 Treated Pine Round Wet. You can see what's available in your location by searching "pole log" on the Bunnings website.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MSSM
Finding My Feet

Hi, thanks for all that extremely helpful info.

Do you think gluing the logs with epoxy might be viable?

Thanks

MSSM
Finding My Feet

Hi,

I'm hoping to keep the logs and repair them with epoxy, if viable. Otherwise I'd need to replace them.

From memory there are approx 10 to 12 logs in total.

Thanks!

MSSM
Finding My Feet

Actually I was toying with the idea of using L brackets and supporting the logs from underneath, but I can't find anything online that would work.

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Glueing the logs doesn't sound like a very effective long-term solution, @MSSM. It could potentially give you a few more years before they need to be entirely replaced. 

There is quite a large range of angle brackets available. If there is a specific size you need help locating, I'd be happy to take a look for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

It would need to be a bracket that can be mounted through a single M16 hole. I can't find any like that.

Thanks!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects