Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace an old broken mailbox from brick?

cmvergara
Getting Established

How to replace an old broken mailbox from brick?

20210712_125029.jpg

 Does anyone know if it is possible to replace this mailbox without breaking the bricks?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replace an old broken mailbox from brick?

Hi @cmvergara,

Could we please trouble you for a photo of the other side of the mailbox? It might help members get a better idea of what you are working with and how best to approach removing it with as little damage to the brickwork as possible. 

You might also like to provide dimensions of the mailbox so we can suggest replacements. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cmvergara

Thank you for sharing your question about removing your mailbox.

Some of the older models use to have a fixing bolt inside the mailbox to prevent it from being pulled out. I suggest looking inside if this model has one. Others are fitted with small steel lugs on the body that holds it in place when being cemented in. I suggest trying these methods:

• If you have a Craftright 450mm Wrecking Bar or similar you can use this to test if the mailbox can be pried out. You can use a piece of timber to brace the bar so as not to crack the bricks. Make sure to go around the box applying equal pressure to allow the box to slide out without getting wedge in. Please note the mailbox will be damaged by the force applied by the wrecking bar.

• My only other recommendation is to use a blow torch to cut it out of the brick. 

Other than what I've mentioned, perhaps you may have to consider the option of destroying the bricks to get that mailbox out.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with @EricL 's approach, but would add that a Multi-tool with a metal grade saw inserted may enable you to cut up the box, if that is what it comes to, with less damage.

Hopefully you will find that it is attached by screws and you can get them out with a stubby screwdriver.  The metal frame around the edge suggests that the unit may have been slid in to a hole after the brick unit was built.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @cmvergara

The letterbox in the photo looks very sturdy, may I suggest, if it's still in good condition, why don't you just clean it up, polish the aluminum and re paint the surrounding area, in a different colour, maybe black statin.

Or if you still want to replace the letterbox, I suggest you measure the internal  measurement, width, height and depth and see what is available from Bunnings that would fit inside the letterbox, then you can remove the letterbox opening door by cutting the hinges using a multi tool with metal cutting tool as suggested by @TedBear and fit the new replacement letterbox by siliconing it in place, as .@Jason  and .@EricL said, internal photo's would help, to see if there is anything holding the old letterbox.

cmvergara
Getting Established

Hi,

The mailbox door is broken and we don't have the key, that's the only reason why I want to change the mailbox.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers

Cathy

Hi @cmvergara

Try drilling the lock out, a 6mm diameter drill bit through the centre of the lock, then use a large flat head screwdriver, tap it into the drilled hole, then twist the screwdriver, hopefully the centre lock mechanism will come out, then go to Bunnings and purchase a new lock, similar to the image below.

JoeAzza_0-1626307594378.png

cmvergara
Getting Established

Thanks Joe Azza, but what about the cover, it's not just the lock but the door is also broken into half. 

I suspect the previous owner lost the key and forced the mailbox by cutting it into half.

I guess I can sort of glue them and do your suggestion?

Cheers

Cathy

Hi @cmvergara

If the front is broken, then you can remove the front lower section of the letterbox opening and undo the lock from the back, as for the broken section, you can try to glue with a suitable glue, I found this one at Bunnings..  @EricL  might suggest other glues that will do the job. A photo of the other side of the opening would help.

JoeAzza_0-1626393123822.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cmvergara

It's great that you got some excellent suggestions from @JoeAzza and @TedBear. Just to add one more suggestion, you could make a new timber door if the broken one is too difficult to repair. You could also try looking online for seconds and find a compatible set with the same door. If you need more information or advice, please let us know.

We look forward to seeing your mailbox fixed.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects