Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure a garden screen on half a porch in a rental home?

Alf
Just Starting Out

How to secure a garden screen on half a porch in a rental home?

20220425_154943.jpgWe've just moved in to this rental.  It has a 15 x 5 metre porch on the back.  This photo is of one end.  We are slowly tidying up the stuff temporarily dumped on the porch.  
Where the little workbench is on the right, we'd like a screen or partition to hide the work/gardening area from the house out to about 4m.
BUT we can't really do a lot of damage to the house, porch or concrete.
Now we get to the questions:
-- What are ideas for putting up a screen that won't blow over in the wind etc?  
-- Anchoring ideas that won't show (or won't show much) after removal?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Securing a garden screen on half a porch in a RENTAL home, without huge impact on the house

Hello @Alf

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about securing a garden screen.

There are a few options that come to mind. However, to make the project a lot simpler and less destructive, I suggest mounting a piece of timber to the side of the house. I recommend using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor. Once the post has been anchored to the wall,  you can drill into the timber and mount screws and hooks if you only wish to cover the area in a tarp. The holes in the brick wall can be filled in when it's time to go and move on.

I suggest securing the rope on the first post to where the downpipe is connected to. You can also mount a timber post to the metal post using metal brackets. This will save you from having to drill into the metal post which lessens the damage to the area. With two timber posts, you can now put timber across to hang brushwood or bamboo screen fencing.

If by chance there is a third post close by you can mount one more timber piece and that will allow you to cover the area that you've mentioned.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noyade, @tom_builds and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Securing a garden screen on half a porch in a RENTAL home, without huge impact on the house

My not perminant fix way would be to use a planter box or storage box as the base to take the fixings for posts. Shelving or a bench can also be used, how many of us would say we have too much storage or bench space?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects