Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to soundproof or extend a fence?

Davofit
Getting Established

How to soundproof or extend a fence?

Our neighbours have a raised patio out back, and the fence extenders that they've put up don't do anything for stopping the noise, smoke or light pollution that comes in from their yard.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could either extend the fence upwards again, and/or soundproof the fence to give us a bit more peace and quiet?

300793881_492098422740188_3995823053646450836_n.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to soundproof or extend a fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Davofit. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about soundproofing a fence.

There is only so much height you can add to a fence before being outside the manufacturers recommendations. The 300mm extension is about it before the fence becomes too much of a wind sail and is then at risk of being pushed over. You'll likely need to look at alternatives like those mentioned in this helpful article: How to create privacy by planting. You might need to create a climbing frame in front of your fence to the desired height. Alternatively, clumping bamboo makes an excellent screening plant, is fast growing and will inhibit a decent amount of noise. Check out How to plant a clumping bamboo hedge.

You could potentially use a length of cement cladding and run it in front of the lattice section to block it off. That would provide a little more privacy. However, it appears that the noise issue is a major concern and the only way I can see you inhibiting that is by growing a thick and dense planted screening.

The major issue is that even if the fence is perfectly soundproof, the sound will transfer over it. That's why a planting is one of the better options, as you can grow it significantly taller than the fence, and it does a reasonable job of dispersing those soundwaves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Morning @Davofit 

Neighbours.

Have you tried talking to them - not always easy...

Can you elaborate on the "smoke" and "light" pollution? Cigarettes or fire-buckets or both?

Cheers.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @Davofit 

"smoke"

A neighbour bought a pot belly stove a few years back and attached a prime mover exhaust stack which was positioned to 'fire' directly over our boundary fence into my property. I'm happy to share the outcome of that experience with you - if it helps.

20220828_114941.jpg

hey @Davofit  that is definitely beyond the pale. letting the smoke drift to you is appalling.

There are definite rules, I avoid smoking drifting over my neighbours, (but if there's a good smoke BBQ going to happen, they get invited - never had any complaints, because `i try to be fumeless)

What can I do about smoke from my neighbours chimney or barbecue?  this is NSW. pretty sure there are environmental regulations all over the country.

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Davofit , 

If you've already gone down the "talking" route with them and it's failed, I'd suggest the following options:

- Black Acoustic Pinboard 

- Fibre Cement Sheeting 

- Acoustic Fence Wrap (I find these to be fantastic, but they are pricey) 

- Acoustic Fence Vinyl (Also fantastic, also pricey)

- Plant yourself some Pittosporum Tenuifolims (grows to 10 meters) or Viburnums (grows to 3.5ish meters) if you want something that grows faster. They won't block a heap of noise on their own, but they will grow tall enough to redirect smoke back into their yard. I would combo this with one of the first 4 options to get the best benefit out of the plants and to hide what you've installed. 

I've also seen people use bamboo fence sheeting as a compliment or to cover up what you have chosen to use. 

Hope this helps, 

Remarka6le
Davofit
Getting Established

Bracing for screening

Hi,
My wife and are I installing some timber screening in our backyard. The posts are dynabolted into the ground, and also fixed to the colour bond fence, but we want to add one more layer of support, by bracing two of the posts to the brick on the house, below the eave. I'm just wondering, what the best way to do this would be?

I've attached a picture if it helps.

Thanks!20230924_144933.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bracing for screening

Hi @Davofit,

I might not be following correctly, but does the image you've provided showcase the two posts and where you'll be attaching them to the house? If not, a picture of that area would be very helpful for our members when providing useful suggestions.  

The best way to attach the posts will be determined by how close they are to the wall and available brackets or mounting options. If the posts are hard up against the wall you might consider Dynabolting them to it, or if they are offset from it you might need a bracket.

If keen to hear more details and provide further assistance.

Mitchell

20230924_144933 (1).jpg

Hi Rob, hopefully this picture is a bit clearer in regards to the distance between the posts. Ideally, the support will be attached to the top of the pine post, and then dynabolted into the brick just below the eave, on the side of the house

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Davofit,

Those are long distances for timber to span unsupported and you'd need a huge calibre to do so. You'd need to use something along the lines of 290 x 45mm. Are you sure the screening needs additional braces? It sounds fairly secure since you've installed posts and connected them to the fence. Many of our members have had success just fixing the screening directly to the fence with no posts.

If you did want to go ahead with your idea, you'll likely need to install a ledger board on the wall and use joist hangers to support your beams.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects