Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain new treated Pine decking?

daveom
Growing in Experience

How to stain new treated Pine decking?

F290B195-6D6F-4CA8-AF28-3EA1A4D41531.jpeg

653DC708-6133-4132-8D5B-1F48F577CD36.jpeg

I recently purchased some new treated pine decking from Bunnings. I have noticed that half the batch is a white colour and half a green colour. I also purchased a Feast and Watson stain Swan River Jarrah. I tested the stain I both board colours and they are completely different. My question is, will the green coloured board eventually turn the same colour as the white coloured board so I can get some consistency with the stain colouring. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: New treated pine decking

Hello @daveom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your questions about your pine decking.

Pine is a natural product that often behaves differently when treated with preservatives. Discolouration sometimes happens, I propose cleaning the timber deck with Cabot's 1L Deck Clean. However, I strongly recommend testing an off-cut or independent piece before committing the whole deck.  

Let me make some inquiries and see if I can get more information about the pine deckings finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to clean a deck

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @tom_builds, @ProjectPete, @darylhewston and @Noyade for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
daveom
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric.  I appreciate the support.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daveom,

It appears that you've ended up with products from two different batches. As my colleague has mentioned, this could be due to different reactions to the treatment or different treatments. Our range of treated Pine decking is either ACQ or LOSP treated. These treatments are excellent and have the same purpose but can have distinct colour variations. I would recommend returning the product and picking up lengths all from the same batch and pack. If these lengths were all from the same pack, I'd be happy to contact the store for you to ensure our team members assist in locating similar stock.

Please let me know if I can provide any assistance in returning the product.

Mitchell

daveom
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately before I realised that the decking was two different colours I cut them to size. It was only when I test coloured the boards that I realised that they were probably from two different batches.  Not sure now what recourse I have.

Regards

Dave O'Meara

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daveom,

I'll reach out via private message to get details of your local store so I can discuss with them how we can resolve the issue.

Mitchell

daveom
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, Thanks very much. Just some further information. I have more of the lighter coloured boards than the darker green coloured boards. I need 18 of the lighter coloured boards.

Thanks again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @daveom,

The team from Bunnings Lake Haven will be reaching out shortly to resolve this issue for you.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

daveom
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. I really appreciate the efforts you have made to resolve my issue. 
Regards

Dave O’Meara

daveom
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,  I just wanted to thank you again for your assistance in this matter.  I have received the replacement decking and the deck looks fabulous. If it wasn't for your intervention then I don't think I would have received this positive outcome.

Regards

Dave O'Meara

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects