Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop cats climbing fences

isomelb
Finding My Feet

How to stop cats climbing fences

Hi All, 

Any advice to stop cats from climbing fences? 

There's devices to put on fences that roll, to stop cats climbing but these are expensive. My cat doesn't like things around his neck, so I don't want a collar that links up to a cat electronic deterrent contraption. There's also sprays to spray onto fence that act as a deterrent, but I'm concerned that these just wash off with the rain. I'm more interested in finding out whether spikes on fences to deter birds, do the trick and then which ones work better - plastic, metal, long, short? 

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to stop cats climbing fences

Hi @isomelb,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We trust that you'll get plenty of inspiration and assistance with all your projects from our clever and creative members. 

Can I please confirm that your focus is just on keeping your cat in your backyard and there's no desire to keep other cats from coming in?

Have you considered some sort of enclosure? Here's a couple of examples:

D.I.Y. cat enclosure

Indoor to outdoor cat tower

Hope that helps kick off the discussion. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason, 

Thanks for the reply. It's more to keep my cat inside my backyard... but I didn't really want to put up an enclosure. I more want it so that he can roam around the backyard but doesn't run away. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries, thanks for clarifying @isomelb. Hopefully some of our cat-loving community members have heard about solutions they can share with you.

Jason

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

Our cats are indoor cats only with an outdoor enclosure coming soon, 2 x Ragdolls and 1 x smoky maine coon :smile:
you can rig up a piece of 90mm or 100mm pvc across the top of the fence line exactly the same principle as the expensive ones, and very easy to make, you just have to make sure its at a height where the cats wont go over the top of it 

ShaunE
Just Starting Out

I'm not sure on the pricing differences but have you considered catnets? They have some netting and gear that you could configure to own full backyard setup or DIY your own enclosure set up for part of the backyard. Alternatively most states have installers that could provide a quote.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you join in the discussion and make your first post on Workshop @ShaunE. I'm sure @isomelb appreciates the suggestion. 

We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need assistance with anything around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Jason

AlidaJayne
Getting Established

Not sure if you have any ideas. I have used catnets, DIY netting to enclose my front verandah (still in progress) plus another enclosure for my daughter.

In my past research I have seen many different ideas on Pinterest (I have attached couple pics, I saved, hopefully help with some ideas for you), all my many kitties are enclosed only, so these ideas may or may Not be helpful as they can be clever creatures 🙂. As with the first picture with the overhang, I could imagine a very clever cat may eventually work out how to climb? Hope this is helpful.

e1126ee498092ffd44c38fbc87c9dc1b.jpg

66c5d617afe4fcdae3b0acb7cc60aded.jpg

550c50f90c4aafa495bba3a2d99dae91.jpg

Great to see you join in the discussion on Workshop @AlidaJayne. Many thanks for sharing those photos with @isomelb, I'm sure they are much appreciated.

Looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans soon. Don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with other members. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can ensure Workshop is even more useful to you.

Thanks again,

Jason

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects