Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to update backyard patio?

malikong
Just Starting Out

How to update backyard patio?

5235E64D-AAC5-414F-99FD-7A0D38F71550.jpeg

Hi, I’d like to update my backyard patio area Which is tiny pebble concrete at the moment. I was thinking of using the click-in decking panels, but I’m not sure if the concrete is leveled. Then I was thinking of painting it, but people say it’s not long lasting. Now, I’m thinking of putting the tiles. Just wondering what tiles I should choose, whether I can do it myself. Or if someone has better and easier ideas. Thank you very much!

Regards

Mary

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to update backyard patio?

Hello @malikong

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about updating your backyard patio.

One way to tell if your patio is level is to use a Craftright 1200mm Spirit Level. Simply place the spirit level on your patio at various locations to see if the patio is sloping or is moderately level. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your patio from the other side? Can you also please tell us the size of the patio? This will allow our members to assess the condition of the patio. One of the popular upgrades that people do is to put a low-level deck. On the condition that the patio set out is ideal, it's possible to install one in your area.

Tiling is definitely another option and transforming your current patio is fairly straightforward. Because you have a pebblecrete surface, I recommend removing it rather than tiling right over it. Unfortunately, pebblecrete surfaces are prone to damage and are not a reliable surface to tile on.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:   Inspiring low-level deck builds

Here are some paving projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects