Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to utilise stormwater retention pits as a basketball court or outdoor entertainment area?

jkslui
Finding My Feet

How to utilise stormwater retention pits as a basketball court or outdoor entertainment area?

Hi there,

I need to get some ideas or hints of what I can do to basically utilise or hide the stormwater retention pits. 

My thought is to remove the grass within the red lines - it a BIG eyesore. Not sure if using Cirtex SurePave plastic pavers (https://www.bunnings.com.au/cirtex-0-5m-surepave-plastic-pavers_p3452192) would do the job so it sits flush with those stormwater retention pit covers. Then lay basketball outdoor tiles over the top. The total area is 4.1 x 3.6 = 14.76 metres square. 

I am on a tight budget - any recommendations is helpful. If there is any alternative to the basketball outdoor tiles, please let me know - its so expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

backyard.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to utilise stormwater retention pits as a basketball court or outdoor entertainment area

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jkslui. It is fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Do you know if this area is a council easement? If it's not, you could consider pouring your own concrete slab in between those drainage grates. Alternatively, I'm not sure what the Cirtex 0.5m² SurePave Plastic Pavers will do for you as they are designed to have gravel, dirt or sand poured over them retaining it. I would have thought you could dig down an adequate depth, lay some sand to level and compact the area. You'd then place your basketball tiles straight on top. Depending on the basketball tiles cost, you could consider laying Custom Concrete Products 500 x 500 x 40mm Plain Paver instead.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has some other ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to utilise stormwater retention pits as a basketball court or outdoor entertainment area

Thanks for the tag @MitchellMc . As much as I am interested in how this project unfolds, this isn't an area I have experience in. I am assuming that the idea is to make a hard, yet weather tolerant, surface using the plastic pavers in-filled with clean soil or fine gravel, to match up with the existing water grates and then cover it all, including the grates with outdoor basketball tiles, which will also allow water through. I agree that it would be wise to contact the local council before messing with something that is legally required to be there for a good purpose,  to see what their limitations are. While the idea sounds ok, I think it would be wise to also discuss it's practicality with a basketball tile supplier, rather than risk spending good money & effort on what might be a(n avoidable) disaster. (Cautious encouragement is all I can offer here.) 

jkslui
Finding My Feet

Re: How to utilise stormwater retention pits as a basketball court or outdoor entertainment area?

Thanks Mitchell and TedBear. Yep, will double confirm with council. 

Mitchell - I like the suggestion of using the custom concrete paver as I can remove it later if I ever want to re-turf the entire backyard - not in good shape at the moment. Just confirming I will be only be touching the area in red as  below. Have you got any good links on how to prepare the area to lay these pavers that will sit flush with the drainage grates? And are these concrete pavers easy to cut?

TedBear - you read my mind on my idea :smile:  Yep, have spoken to someone already about laying the basketball tiles over the top and can be done with good water drainage. Its $54 per square metre which I find very expensive. If you know of any cheaper alternative please let me know.  Do you think the plastic pavers be the cheaper option? Seems more expensive as more gravel is needed compared to the concrete pavers. 

backyardv2.jpg

Re: How to utilise stormwater retention pits as a basketball court or outdoor entertainment area?

Hello @jkslui 

Since we are only looking at the drain side is there any space left on the left hand side of the picture you just posted? Perhaps we can move the hoop to the other side where you possibly might have more space? My only other recommendation for this project is a low level deck where it will not interfere with the drain system. 

Red

backyard.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

The concrete pavers will be cheaper, but won't give you the drainage. Maybe the raised decking idea of @redracer01  would be reasonable if you can afford that. It sounds like it would solve a number of issues, especially covering up the drains while still allowing water to flow in & it could be moved if access to the drains is ever required.   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jkslui,

You can find out what preparation is needed for paving in this helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay paving for a path by @Adam_W. It will be the same process for your larger pavers.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

This isnt an area I know much on but I do like the idea of a low level deck as mentioned before. It definitely won't interfere with the drains and would look quite nice.

Best of luck @jkslui !

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks Red. How well would the basketball bounce? How low can the deck be? A little concerned tripping backwards.

Hello @jkslui 

The bounce will be a little bit less but should be adequate for casual play. The size would have to be at least a meter past the edge of the drains. Yes there is the possibility of a tripping hazzard. It is not an ideal solution, but is the only one I can think of that will avoid having to modify the drains. Perhaps you should consider another possible spot for the court? Please keep us updated as to what your plans will be. Good luck and stay safe.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects