Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof a cubby house roof?

Kerri2
Finding My Feet

How to waterproof a cubby house roof?

Can anyone give me advice on the best way to waterproof a cubby house roof? It is a wooden, pre fab cubby and we want to protect the contents when it rains. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to waterproof a cubby house roof?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kerri2 and thanks for posting about your cubby house project. Could we please trouble you for some photos of the cubby and it's roof so members can see what you are working with? They should then be in a better position to provide more helpful and specific advice. 

We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and plenty of inspiration for all your projects around the home and garden from our clever and creative community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

6B3D990A-A775-41E9-BB67-CC1ED955FB81.jpeg

9C26B169-B90C-440D-A1F9-0A90109A6F40.jpeg

 these are images from the sellers website. We haven’t purchased it just yet, but we’re getting info to prepare for constructing the cubby. Their site advisors to bring contents of the cubby inside when there is rain about. I’m hoping to avoid doing that. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kerri2

Thanks for sharing your question about waterproofing your cubby house. The best defence you can offer your timber cubby house is Exterior paint and Selleys 430g White No More Gaps Exterior Gap Filler. I recommend filling in all the gaps on the roof and the walls or any point that seems like water will sit in and rest. 

Timber joints on the chimney need to be sealed so that water does not settle in the joints. If the windows are just a timber frame with no covering on them, I suggest using Suntuf Sunlite 8mm x 610mm x 2.4m Clear Twinwall Polycarbonate Roofing. It can be cut into shapes to fill in the window frames and openings that need covering.

As for the inside of the cubby house, I recommend using Interior paint to protect it from everyday use. In case of severe weather, I suggest having a Saxon 3.5 x 3.5m Combination D Ring And Eyelet Tarp in combination with rope and four bricks. This will allow you to cover the cubby house should there be an extended heavy downpour. 

My number one tip to preserve your cubby house for long-term use is to keep the house off the ground by either using timber sleepers or DEKO 250 x 150 x 150mm Instant Concrete Foundation Block.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @Remarka6le for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Cheers for the mention @EricL , I'd be going hard with Selleys Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant on the roof and around the windows as well as the advice you've already provided. If you can ensure the windows and door only open outwards (a block on the inside would do this), a large portion of rain travelling with strong winds can be prevented from going inside. I found the instructions for your cubby here, they recommend:

• Painting before assembly
    • Two coats of under coat over the entire cubby, then two coats of gloss paint over the entire cubby. It even suggests not to use a primer.

Remarka6le

It is interesting that the instructions don't mention any need to take the contents in when it rains. I guess the suppliers are just recommending that in order to cover themselves against complaints. 

Yes I think so. They come from Queensland where they have more tropical weather conditions. 
Although I have had some good advice from this community which has helped me in my planning. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Kerri2

Please don't forget to post an update on your painting and protection efforts, I'm sure a lot of our members will be keen to see what the cubby house will look like once you've painted it.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects