Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to weather proof side of patio?

NataliaM
Getting Established

How to weather proof side of patio?

C7AE3AAB-B757-4266-A0BE-036419B2D867.jpeg

Hi, 

I have two questions regarding how I can go ahead weather proofing the side of my patio to stop water coming in and landing on gym equipment that is kept on the patio. Total length between wall and patio post is 3.3metres. 

1- if I was to use the pvc marque bistro blinds how would I go about getting it to cover the full length of the patio side. One side of the patio is a brick wall and the roof of the patio is on an angle. There are also two different heights for the blind to cover as shown in the image below (house roof and patio roof). Would I need to attach something to make a level surface? 

2- can anyone think of a different cost effective option to weather proof this and stop water coming in?

thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to weather proof side of patio?

Hi @NataliaM,

Apologies for the slow reply. 

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to ensure he shares his thoughts. It would also be great to hear the opinions of clever members like @TedBear@JDE@Brad and @diy_hausdesigns to see how they would tackle the issue.

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

1. Cafe/bistro blinds at least in SA are 3 meters wide but you can get a joiner to go wider. You fix the top to a batten which you have on the patio side if it lines up with the bricks and you will need to add a batten to the house eaves. You may need a packer to deal with the sloping roof.

2. Screen up has side rails with a flange so you can fix one side then slide it into place if you are going right up to the top. filling the top gap is optional. Pine slats should be an affordable option. Will keep out most rain.

3. Plantation shutters great but not affordable and not available off the shelf.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NataliaM

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Brad. I totally agree with his recommendation of putting in a batten to hold the Bistro Blinds. You do have several options to cover the gap from packers to just ordinary plywood cut to size. My only other recommendation is to calculate the area you wish to cover. 

Using screen panels and shade cloth will give you some protection, but the Bistro Blinds are totally weatherproof and will protect your area from wind and rain. In order to maximize the lifespan of the blinds, please remember to roll them up when it's sunny to prevent them from being damaged by UV.

If you need more advice or information please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects