Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing Matrix decor panel onto colourbond fence

Pantha1
Just Starting Out

Installing Matrix decor panel onto colourbond fence

Hello,

I'd like to install my 1.8mtr plastic matrix decor panels ( x4) directly onto my colourbond fence. They will be place in the middle of the sheets so im worried the screws will be pointing straight through onto neighbours side of the fence.

What can I use to secure them onto the fence without having screws pointing through behind the colourbond sheet?

*note: I cant put posts in nor fix them to the fence posts.

Thank you

Screenshot_20201205-223900_Messenger.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing Matrix decor panel onto colourbond fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pantha1. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You are correct that the screws will pierce through to the opposite side of the fence if you drill directly into the Colorbond panel. Are the Matrix panels butting up next to each other in a continuous run? If so, you might like to read through this previous discussion: How to install a Matrix Decor Screen to a Colorbond Fence by @firenevac. Within it, I describe how to fix a timber cross member between the posts and screwing the panels into it. In your case, you would fix the two timber cross members in the middle of the Colorbond fence to support the top and bottom of the Matrix panels.

Let me mention the knowledgeable @TedBear to see if they can think of other methods of fixing the panels.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I agree with Mitchell's solution... the only other variation I can come up with (other than undesired support posts) is to insert some vertical timber (or metal) in the concave (from your side) sections of the metal panels. There would need to be separate top and bottom uprights so you can get them into the rails. Trim the ends down if need be, so they tuck  in behind the lips of upper & lower rails.  (Attach the bottom legs, stand the  unit in the channel, then attach the top ones to stop it falling out.) If you don't wish to put any holes in the fencing, then you wouldn't need to, since screwing them to the matrix would keep the strips upright and in place.  You could paint them the same colour as the fence so that they would blend in behind the matrix.  I hope that makes sense. 

Hi there,

Do you know if there's any glue to attach to colourbond? We tried one that was recommended by Bunnings staff member and only held for a week then both panels fell down. This is how we had them up.

Thanks in advance. 

PXL_20220510_054852014.MP.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Denisehnz

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about attaching a Matrix panel to your Colorbond fence.

Unfortunately, the products you're trying to join together both flex in changing temperatures. Hence, the glue fails to hold them together. I'm sure you've seen the suggestions made in this discussion - How to install a Matrix Decor Screen to a Colorbond Fence by @firenevac

A variation of the mounting technique mentioned is to attach the timber vertically. I then suggest painting the timber pieces the same colour as the fence and attaching the Matrix panel to the timber pieces. Please note that you can only drill into the Colorbond post and rails.

The only other option I can think of is to use blind rivets to attach them to the fence. I definitely recommend speaking to your neighbour about your plan before drilling holes in the fence.

Let me tag our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Matrix panels securely attached to your fence.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric,

No I hadn't seen the post about options of installation so thank you for the link. Will have a look through and find the best option. Also thank you for the advice on the glue, we tried two different type too lol with no success so what you said makes sense so thanks :smile:

Cheers

Denise

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects