Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Installing Matrix decor panel onto colourbond fence

Pantha1

Installing Matrix decor panel onto colourbond fence

Hello,

I'd like to install my 1.8mtr plastic matrix decor panels ( x4) directly onto my colourbond fence. They will be place in the middle of the sheets so im worried the screws will be pointing straight through onto neighbours side of the fence.

What can I use to secure them onto the fence without having screws pointing through behind the colourbond sheet?

*note: I cant put posts in nor fix them to the fence posts.

Thank you

Screenshot_20201205-223900_Messenger.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing Matrix decor panel onto colourbond fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pantha1. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You are correct that the screws will pierce through to the opposite side of the fence if you drill directly into the Colorbond panel. Are the Matrix panels butting up next to each other in a continuous run? If so, you might like to read through this previous discussion: How to install a Matrix Decor Screen to a Colorbond Fence by @firenevac. Within it, I describe how to fix a timber cross member between the posts and screwing the panels into it. In your case, you would fix the two timber cross members in the middle of the Colorbond fence to support the top and bottom of the Matrix panels.

Let me mention the knowledgeable @TedBear to see if they can think of other methods of fixing the panels.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Valued Contributor

Re: Installing Matrix decor panel onto colourbond fence

I agree with Mitchell's solution... the only other variation I can come up with (other than undesired support posts) is to insert some vertical timber (or metal) in the concave (from your side) sections of the metal panels. There would need to be separate top and bottom uprights so you can get them into the rails. Trim the ends down if need be, so they tuck  in behind the lips of upper & lower rails.  (Attach the bottom legs, stand the  unit in the channel, then attach the top ones to stop it falling out.) If you don't wish to put any holes in the fencing, then you wouldn't need to, since screwing them to the matrix would keep the strips upright and in place.  You could paint them the same colour as the fence so that they would blend in behind the matrix.  I hope that makes sense. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects