Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Jake's hand surgery - repair to garden statue

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Jake's hand surgery - repair to garden statue

He was purchased from Bunnings (do they still sell him?) a few years back and lives in our garden. There were other similar pressed metal ornaments with names - but our middle son's name is also "Jake" (Jacob).

But I noticed today his left hand had separated - only a very small spot weld held it on. Odd, because he never complained of pain nor alerted us to his dilemma. In fact he declined local anaesthetic for the surgery.

A childish project compared to what you see on this board - but it's a slow Saturday morning/afternoon.

I decided against re-welding.

1.jpg

Steps

Step 1

First - I cut a groove at the wrist...

MitchellMc_1-1695437710807.jpeg

Step 2

At this stage I thought of metal glue (once mentioned on this site)...

MitchellMc_3-1695437745045.jpeg

Step 3

But decided to try a small M4 bolt.

I drilled a 4mm hole on the thickest side - with a thin steel plate inserted prior - to prevent drilling into the other side.

Then drilled a 3.3mm hole into the thickest side - and tapped a M4 thread...

MitchellMc_4-1695437758201.jpeg

Step 4

Positioned the hand and marked a spot from the 4mm hole side - removed and drilled through...

MitchellMc_5-1695437769106.jpeg

Step 5

M4 bolt inserted and tightened - no nut required.

He looks better. 

I need to re-paint him.

But it's time for lunch.

MitchellMc_7-1695437784512.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Jake's Hand Surgery

Nice work @Noyade. It's great to see you put Jake back into commission. Can't wait to see your paint job!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I thought welding could be a risk for the thin hand and it would destroy paint in that area.

What I need is multi-pot enamel paint - like Airfix from years ago. I'll look into it, but in the meantime he's back protecting a pet grave-site.

Cheers again!

20230923_131218.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

20230924_115036.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a transformation @Noyade!

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch @MitchellMc 

My youngest son found some Revell paint pots he no longer uses. I now know why I gave up model making in my youth - too impatient!

There is more detail to paint - but the enamels were starting to mix - so I stopped for the day.

Cheers and thanks for watching.

Jake is certainly looking healthier.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Noyade 

Thats a seriously ingenious idea! :smile: I dont have a welder or really know how to weld but your thinking outside the square certainly would works for me. It would be something id have a go at for sure. I cant believe how nice he came up after that no anaesthetic operation... At the very least Id be screaming just a little lol

Love the bright paint colours!

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning Dave.

"I dont have a welder or really know how to weld"

Once upon a time neither did I mate - go on, give it a go! 😁

Inverter welders are so inexpensive now.

Many years ago (25, I think) I embarrassed myself at a trade welding display of a small inverter welder (big price back then - $1,200) as it was so small I asked if it was just for the DIY backyard enthusiast.

The guy demonstrating it looked at me like I just slapped him across the face and glared at me - "this is professionally engineered machine made for the trades - sir!" I took a step back from the crowd.

Times have changed - now you can get the same engineering for around $150.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Noyade 

hahahah :smile: Know that feeling well. I am like you, I will ask those questions and I really dont care if they are "embarrasing" Someone else in the crowd wont know the answer and will be too scared to ask so I ask anyway :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects