Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck

jinugu
Growing in Experience

Low-level deck

Help required experts.

I am attaching herewith a drawing (very crude) with what I was proposing (Drawing is not to scale & none of the timber will touch the floor except the posts). I want a low level deck (to avoid steps/avoid stumbling). I haven't provided the ground clearance etc because it's is flexible. I have seen else where in this workgroup that the deck will be classified as low level if its within 400 mm from the ground.

jinugu_3-1640512588329.png

Some additional information :

1. External frame : 150 X 55 Treated timber. Fixed to the posts p1-p10. The external frame would not be touching he ground i.e will be screwed /nailed accordingly to the post. 

2. Bearer 1 will be fixed to the post at p1,p5 & p6, bearer 3 to post at p2, p12 & p7 and so forth.

3. Bearer 2 will be fixed to the post p11 (also intend to use angle bracket for additional strength) and the ends to the external frames on joist hangers j1 & j2. Bearer 4 to post 13 and the ends to external frame j3 & j4. 

4. May use noggins for support between the bearers for eg B1 & B2 and so on and so forth.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards

Ravi

jinugu
Growing in Experience

Re: Low-level deck

Hi Eric long time. I couldn't finish within the time frame I set for myself. But finally I managed to. I had to take the help of a handy man. Could have been better (in terms of finish), but still happy with the end result. Costed me atleast 25% less than what the cheapest builder quoted. Some quoted 4900$ + gst. Thank you so much.  Your comments based on the attached picture pls. What could have been done better. Do you recommend applying paint? If yes, your recommendations. Budget ones.

Thanks Ravi

IMG_20220526_144714.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jinugu

Thank you so much for posting that photo of your deck. It looks very nice and all that's left to do is to either oil or paint the deck. Putting the finish on your deck is a very personal choice. I propose visiting your local store and looking at the beautiful sample deck finishes on display in the paint department. 

Once you've made your choice, please make sure to get all the necessary equipment you'll need to either oil or paint your deck. It's important to follow the instructions on the paint can before you begin. Can you please tell us what kind of decking panel did you use for your deck? How long have you had the decking panel installed? 

This extra information will help us to make more recommendations regarding the painting or oiling of your deck. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jinugu
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. The decking board has been installed only 2 days ago. 

Screenshot_20220527_221537_com.whatsapp.jpg

Also, you would note that there is a gap as circled. Is it ok/recommended to leave it like that for air circulation. 

IMG_20220527_221805.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jinugu

Thank you for posting that information quickly. That gap under your deck is totally fine, it will provide a spot for air to pass through and it also serves as an exit for moisture. I suggest using Cabot's 1L Deck Clean before painting or oiling your deck.

If you have any other questions we can help with please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great job @jinugu, looking forward to seeing the deck after it has been oiled. It's looking fantastic. Well done, you should feel really proud of what you have achieved. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects