Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau side gate and panel

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Merbau side gate and panel

20200608_135323.jpg

Final product 

After getting a few quotes for a side gate and panel and getting the shock of our lives ($$$$), my wife and I decided to DIY this job.  

This is an old photo but it shows the open side.

20200220_172517.jpg

I made up my design and decided to go with the Merbau gate and fencing panel and some Cyprus timber posts.

20200421_225450.jpg

The original design, a few on the go tweaks were applied.

We used a post digger (auger) which reduced the labour required despite a few incorrectly place hopes.

Happy with the final result. Just some minor landscaping to tidy up and a gate latch to finish it off.

20200426_174849.jpg

20200426_175219.jpg

Decided to touch up some details on the side gate this weekend. Much much happier with the end product.

20200608_135317.jpg

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Merbau side gate and panel

Fantastic @diy_hausdesigns, well done. I'm sure your work will really inspire others and you'll get plenty of questions from members wanting to know how they can replicate your project.

Many thanks for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PamW
Growing in Experience

Hi you have done a great job and it is something like what we are going to do. We have never made one before but we are putting some plans into place so we can have a crack. We will be moving into our newly built home and need some side gates for our dog to keep in the yard and privacy. We are thinking of doing it out of treated pine and then stain it like merbau because my Husband said the gate will be lighter out of pine. We thought the same as you did that it is a lot of $$$$ so why not have a go ourselves and it might be half the price with a bit of luck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @PamW.

It's great to have you join us and I'm sure @diy_hausdesigns appreciates your feedback on their project. 

If you were interested in the items used in this project they are- 

We look forward to hearing about your own gate project and if you have further questions, please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @PamW 

Thank you and glad to hear this is something you are considering. We completed it without too much difficulty and enjoyed the DIY opportunity. It ended up being LESS than a 1/4 of the price quoted too !

Enjoy and can't wait to see the final result!

Regards 

Rufaro 

----
PamW
Growing in Experience

Thank you, I am looking into what material I want to use, I have got some ideas of the style and will be able to try and put it together in a few weeks, cheers

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

If the gate will look onto an area where people walk by, it would be kinder for your dog/s to use closed-in paneling, not open slats.

Dogs have an urge to protect "their" area, which is everything that they can see. They will likely spend much time at the slatted gate anxiously on guard warding off for potential "intruders" (ie everyone who walks past), barking and annoying people, as well as going through unnecessary anxiety.

If you want examples, just walk around any neighbourhood where people have given their dogs visual access to the outside of their yard. You'll see them barking (trying to guard their infinite territory) & probably being barked at by their owners.   Just a tip that you might consider for everyone's peace, if the gate leads to a view outside of your yard.     

PamW
Growing in Experience

Hi TedBear,

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. PamW

Hi @PamW 

I've uploaded a couple of photos after doing some final detailing to the gate this weekend.

Hope it helps and good luck with yours.

Regards  

----
PamW
Growing in Experience

Wow @diy_hausdesigns  that has lifted it up nicely well done, it is finished off great 👍 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects