Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Netting ideas to stop ball going over fence

amclaughlin09
Growing in Experience

Netting ideas to stop ball going over fence

Good morning guys, looking for advice on setting up a ball stop net. We have a raised fence on the upper boundary, which is pretty high which stops balls going over sometimes... but the problem is, I hate when the ball hits the colorbond fence and makes a very loud bang (probably annoys next door). We want a way to attaching a net to the limestone that some how spans up or to the colorbond and comes down. I have attached a photo of the area. Mind the backyard, we are 80% through finally doing the backyard that was all sand.

20201206_073824.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Netting ideas to stop ball going over fence

Hi @amclaughlin09,

There are two ways I can think of that might work. The first would be to run a cable from the top of the grey fence to a fixed point on the house. It would be best if you spaced this cable at least 30cm out from the top of the cream fence. You would then thread this cable through the top edge of some crop or bird netting. The other option would be to use four Carinya 250 x 300mm White Strong Hold Brackets spaced evenly along the top of the cream fence screwed into the top rail and/or posts. You could attach the top edge of the bird netting to them with Crescent 370 x 4.8mm White Cable Ties.

With either of these two options, you could then use Whites 8 x 300mm High Strength Tent Pegs to fix the bottom edge into the ground. Alternatively, you could wrap the bottom edge around a length of Woodhouse Weatherproof 42 x 18mm 5.4m DAR PR4 H3 LOSP Treated Pine Moulding and Dynabolt it into the Limestone.

Another thought I had was to use two umbrella bases and a couple of lengths of Holman 40mm x 3m Class 12 PVC Pressure Pipe. You could position them on either side and have the netting spanning between them. I'm not sure how tight you'll get the netting before the bases pull over.

Let me mention a few of our helpful members @redracer01, @TedBear, @Stuardo, @JDE and @Noyade that might be keen to give their thoughts.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, will look into the options :smile:

My suggestion is probably too elaborate and expensive.

But I was thinking...

Steel (preferably) or wood bolted to the limestone.

Steel tube welded or bolted onto that.

And concrete mesh welded or bracketed onto that.

Plant creepers at the bottom. When/if your kids stop playing soccer - the creepers should develop nicely. 🤔

Scan0407.jpgScan0408.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects