Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor furniture advice please

Ninaninja
Growing in Experience

Outdoor furniture advice please

IMG_20200505_093131.jpg

Hello expert!

I have decided to make outdoor table as my very first woodworking project. Could you please advise me what kind of wood is good for this project? I have measured all dimensions of my first project but I have no idea how to order the cutting service from Bunnings. Your advice will be very appreciated 😊 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor furniture advice please

Hi @Ninaninja. Many thanks for your question.

If you could share the dimensions of your project I trust our helpful community members will be able to advise what timber is suitable. Let me notify a few of our experienced members from the community @WoodenGregsWood @Brad to see if they might like to offer some suggestions.

If you are wanting to build something similar to the table you have pictured you might like to take a look at Merbau. Merbau is an extremely durable, long-lasting, tannin-rich hardwood. It is easy to work with in terms of clean cutting and easy fastening.

The top of the table could be made from Specrite 42 x 18mm x 2.7m Finger Jointed Merbau Screening, the frame from 42 x 28mm 2.7m Finger Jointed Merbau Screening and the legs Merbau 90 x 90mm 2.4m DAR Laminated Post.

If you decide on the type of timber you wish to use then take your measurements to your local Bunnings store a team member will be able to cut the pieces up for you.

I look forward to seeing what our fantastic community members ideas are for the timber to use on your project. If you would like further information about these products or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I like Merbau and in Adelaide we have most of @MitchellMc suggestions available and substitute posts that seem expensive to me at over $80 each but Google says it's at the lower end of going prices.

I do like the Rapidmesh steel legs for tables and bench seats and that would allow you with some changes to how they are fixed to the timber to use any decking timber.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=rapidmesh%20legs&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=60 

Ninaninja
Growing in Experience

Thank you Brad for your advice!
My existing furniture has kind of leg-ish supporting bits so if I stick to this original design, I don’t need to worry about supporting part yet... However, I am willing to change my design to make my project easier and less challenging 😂  

Ninaninja
Growing in Experience

2D3C75C4-77DF-4F19-B24F-55A5C199B97C.jpegWow, this advice and suggestions for the wood options are amazing. Thank you MitchellMc

I really appreciate your help 🙏 

My existing furniture has kind of leg-ish supporting bits so my measurements has only the replacement-to-be top part.

However, you are more than welcome to suggest any simpler design to make my project easier and less challenging 😂 

Hi @Ninaninja.

If you were willing to change the table surround from 8cm to 9cm and the bench surrounds from 6cm to 7cm you could use Specrite 90 x 19mm KD Select Grade Merbau Decking Linear Metre and Specrite 70 x 19mm 1.8m Pre Oiled Merbau Picket Blanks. The Specrite 42 x 18mm x 2.7m Finger Jointed Merbau Screening looks about right for the top.

If the leg supports are in good condition I would use them and just replace the top for your first project. You can always change the legs at a later time.

Mitchell

Ninaninja
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your expertise 🙏

Now it’s time for me to do some math 😅

Ninaninja
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

I think I would like to discuss my existing leg support thing with you.

They are like artificial concrete or marble looking material but light and easily movable.

I can bring them close together if I want a little smaller sized furniture or pull apart if I want to make bigger one.

However, my plan is either stick to its original size or smaller.

I am attaching photos of mine from different angles so you will see the whole picture.

Shall I try to make exact same design or make it as simple as possible by adapting different design on top of my existing leg supporting system? Please help me with your experience 🙏

Bench leg systemBench leg systemTable leg systemTable leg system

Hi @Ninaninja.

You are fortunate that the leg supports can accommodate many different sized tabletops. I believe the decision on what to do will come down to your preference on what size tabletop you want. You should decide on the size of the top and allow in the design for the use of those leg supports with it.

It will be fine using those leg supports and making a simpler design if you wish. 

Mitchell

Ninaninja
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell!
I have researched types of wood that you recommended and realised that I can find them here in NZ.

My next mission will be find similar options for me.

Thank you for supporting my project 🙏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects