Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paling warping

mike88
Getting Established

Paling warping

Anyone have experience glueing back paling? Would Gorilla Glue hold it back in place?

8264BAF5-D9EE-4800-9E78-E1DD340DA53A.jpeg

Poppop
Making a Splash

Re: Paling warping

@mike88  Replacing them is probably your only sensible solution. If they've dried enough to warp they'll probably split if you try to flatten them back out again. The main problem with treated pine palings is that they are sold as "wet" timber and not kiln dried. I've seen 100mm wide palings shrink down to 95mm when they dry out and if they're not secured from every possible angle they'll twist up like a piece of licorice. That's why they're only $2.00 each.

mike88
Getting Established

Thanks @Poppop - appreciate the feedback. If I replace them, how can I prevent the same issue not happening again?

@mike88 I'm not sure if you can completely prevent it happening with that style of fence. If you look at my gallery you'll see I make a lot of garden ornaments and yard furniture out of palings. But when I design something I try to plan it so there's 2 nails or screws every 400mm or to hold everything flat. (Not really possible with a fence) I also buy bundles of 25 or 30 at a time and stack them with spacers in between each one.  Then strap the bundle  up tightly and let them dry out while being held flat for a couple of weeks before I use them. But for a fence I could only suggest fully painting the new boards before you nail them up. That might slow down the warping process a bit. Or maybe use some palings as horizontal rails on the back side of the fence so you can nail through two over lapping vertical palings and into the horizontal rail at the back. Or if you're prepared for a long term investment, look at replacing them with hardwood palings.

Good luck

If you use the horizontal rail idea. Try putting the nail in well away from the edge to avoid splitting. Place it so the nail goes in beside the inner palings. The pressure from the outer paling will keep it flat. Pre drill the holes and use screws for an even grip. I hope my picture makes sense. 

PicsPlay_1581984291452.jpg

Gosurvey
Getting Established

Re: Paling Warping

Glue won't work. Palings are cheap...replace the warped ones with new, and this time...pre drill them and screw them in. Don't use nails....they will split. You're welcome...

The answer is two part solution . Instal a top rail and use galvanis thin ribbon that the top picket nails go through. The top rail protect the top ends of the pickets and the thin metal ribbon hold the full width of the pick in place for the full length of the fence.

Re: Paling Warping

good point, done exactly this myself ie predrilled and then used square head torque screws and of course painted them too.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects