Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

I was recently researching vertical and herb garden ideas. For myself there are two things that make or break my decision to undergo a project. 

1. Is it easy and achievable?

2. Is it low cost?

In my findings I stumbled across a pallet vertical garden, which really intrigued me. It was different, looked easy enough to complete and didn't use many materials at all.

This then got me thinking about what else pallets could be used for around the home. To my surprise there are a lot of great ideas that people find for timber pallets. I have been able to find many nifty ideas using pallets which seem like easy, low budget alternatives for all sorts of things. Here are just a few of my favourites.

pallet-vertical-garden.jpgpallet-shoe-rack.jpgpallet-storage.jpgpallet-door.jpgpallet-outdoor-lighting.jpgpallet-fire-pit.jpg

pallet-shelf.jpgpallet-garden-shelf-2.jpg

Would be really interested to know if anyone else has been inspired and used pallets for any DIY projects? Will definitely be trying some of these myself. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pallet DIY Projects

Thanks for joining in the discussion @lockers.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I hope you find it invaluable for all your home improvement projects. We have lots of helpful community members happy to share their experiences and knowledge. 

Please post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

NEVER use pallets as garden beds or as fire wood. They have been used 100-1000 times and are often exposed to toxic chemicals. I've known people hospitalized from this...
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Why not build an entire granny flat out of pallets?!? :hysterical:

Bmorris
Finding My Feet

I used a flat board pallett and glued on carpet mats for my dog as a sitting bench instead of the cold bricks however; the wood is now wearing from weather.  Next time will protect wood by painting - hope others like my idea.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one @Bmorris. Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your idea. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased you could join us as one of our latest community members. I trust that you'll receive plenty of helpful advice, information and inspiration for your projects from our members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. And do let me know if you ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you or if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site.

Thanks again,

Jason

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the helpful info so far. I'm posting to ask if anyone has intel on guides for beginners to build a bed from pallets? Many thanks in advance :smile:

Hi @rockcriedout,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion a big welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us. 

Let me tag a couple of our pallet-building experts in @LePallet and @Yorky88 for you in case they have made a bed with pallet wood before. Hopefully a member of the community will be able to assist you with some ideas. 

You might also be interested in this project from the Bunnings team - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/indoor/bedroom/diy-wooden-bed-frame

Thanks,

Jason

Thank you very much!

_WCE2019_
Former Community Member

hey i am new just wondering how many pallets it would take to make the fire pit thanks

@_WCE2019_

Do you mean this one originally shared by @kaylah_rose?

pallet-fire-pit.jpg

It looks like just a couple. Hopefully some of our experienced pallet wood creators like @Yorky88 and @LePallet could confirm for you.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects