Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Panelling ideas for patio brick pillars

Lo_B
Just Starting Out

Panelling ideas for patio brick pillars

Hi guy, 

I have 2 wide brick pillars on the veranda. As their look doesn’t really match the tiled floor and the adjacent timber deck, I am wanting to add some sort of panels on the pillars to give them a contemporary look. Any suggestions on how to put panels on bricks and recommended products?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Panelling ideas for patio brick pillars

@Lo_B,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your house and brick pillars? It would enable our clever and creative community members to provide much more helpful and specific advice. 

You might also get some inspiration from this project by @emmajames - Hamptons verandah posts.

Please let me know if you have any trouble sharing some photos with us. We look forward to providing assistance and seeing how you can transform your veranda and the rest of your home.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lo_B

Have you thought about rendering the brick finish? Giving it a nice flat finish makes it look more modern and removes the old-world texture on it. You could also do a combination of render and panels. Once you get a chance to post some photos, we'll be able to give you better recommendations. 

Eric

Lo_B
Just Starting Out

Thank you for the welcome and advice Eric and Jason. This certainly looks like a fun place to hang around and learn about DIYs. Here are some pics of our patio with brick pillars. As you can see, they are already quite wide and pretty much blocking the view of the backyard from the inside of the house. Rendering seems like a great idea though my first preference is to put some simple and contemporary kind of a panel. I’m not sure how I can stick them on to a brick wall though. I was thinking putting on a thin timber frame for the panels to go on, however, they would make the pillars even wider I guess. Appreciate if you guys can throw in some pro tips. 
PS - there will be a swim spa on the corner of the block where concrete slab is. 

cheers 

C0791C3D-0910-4C30-8302-26C327900DDD.jpeg

58529304-6DF0-43FB-BCBB-A5205B38F20D.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Have you come across any panels that you'd like to use @Lo_B? If you have, I'm sure we'll be able to advise the best way to fix them without dramatically increasing the width of the posts. The most straightforward way would be to drill and install wall plugs into the sides of the pillars. Corresponding holes can then be drilled in the panels, and screws are used to fix them to the pillars. That way, there is no timber frame to deal with or extra bulkiness.

I'd imagine the fixing method will have a lot to do with the style of panels you choose. Fixing them should be the easy part. It's finding panels that you like that will fit the pillar's dimensions, which will be the tricky part. You might like to check out our range of Matrix Panels to see if there is something you like. As these are plastic, they could be cut down to suit the width of the posts and a capping or angled corner used to finish their exposed edges.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects