Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pergola restoration

luisa
Growing in Experience

Pergola restoration

Hello, I would like to know how can restore/update this pergola instead of replacing it. I got a quote for $18.000 and it is totally out budget. Really appreciate your suggestions.

image.jpg

shauny
Building a Reputation

Re: Pergola restoration

I don't see much I would do with it other than removing the trellis on the front which is a bit old looking to me.

I guess the real question is, do you have a style or something you where wanting to try and achieve with your update?

luisa
Growing in Experience

Thank you Shauny. Yes that is a good point I would like maybe a more modern  look, so definitely removing the trellis would help, do you know if this can be just removed without affecting the stability ?
I was thinking maybe painting it dark color but not sure what is the process so the paint doesn’t chip after.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @luisa. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring your pergola.

You might like to show our members some images of pergolas that you would like to replicate. That way, they'd be much better placed to recommend some ways you could achieve those looks. It's excellent that @shauny is already assisting, though.

We'd need to see some images of the internal framing to tell if removing the trellis would be an issue. I wouldn't have thought it was a structural piece, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Painting sounds like a good idea. If it is powder-coated steel, you can go over it with a Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Non-Scratch Scourer Pad. If the paint is powdery or chalky to the touch, use the Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pads instead. You'll then need to wash the pergola frame down with Sugar Soap to remove any residue. Rinse the Sugar Soap off with fresh water and wait for the pergola to dry. Apply Dulux PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to all surfaces. You can then follow that up with two coats of Dulux Weathershield.

A suggestion I have would be to increase the thickness of those posts somehow. If you were to clad them in timber, increasing their size, I feel it would add a much more solid and luxurious look to the pergola. Similar in principle to what @emmajames did with their Hamptons verandah posts. Alternatively, you could have someone prop up the pergola, remove the posts and install timber posts instead.

Looking forward to seeing the frame detail and being able to advise on the removal of the lattice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
luisa
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell, 

Loving all the suggestions here. Tell me more about the process to increase the thickness of the poles, I really think that will give a nicer look.

I have attached some photos of ideas I think could be a realistic to replicate also the internal framing.
Also any suggestions to change the look of the floor?

image.jpg

0BA98F1D-E8AA-4A78-813C-CB0A21757690.jpeg

AF347432-034C-4C30-91C7-87F744778B5D.jpeg

847F0306-BD2C-47F5-856D-A11FF1A4CDE3.jpeg

438A2107-1886-4B4C-BC0A-E08A2C02ACA6.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @luisa

It's great that you've received fantastic suggestions from my colleague @MitchellMc. One way to increase the thickness of the poles is to form a square frame around them using SpecRite 140 x 19mm Pre Oiled Select Grade Merbau Decking. The other method is to create a frame and clad it with James Hardie 4200 x 170 x 9mm Primeline™ Newport Weatherboard giving it that nice Hamptons look as seen in the link provided by Mitchell.

To change the look of your floor, I recommend using Megatreat. It is a long-lasting selection of unique aggregates, sand, and special acrylic binders which can be used to create real stone finishes on floors, walls pots, timber, or any desired surface. Based on the photos you posted, you also have the option of painting the frame in a dark color. However, please be aware that putting a dark colour on your frame will tend to make it look smaller. 

Please keep us updated with your progress. We would be keen to see any photos while you build your project.

Let me tag our experienced members @jesseydiamond and @Beachbox for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

luisa
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric , great advise ! 
also would you be able to comment regarding Mitchell post “We'd need to see some images of the internal framing to tell if removing the trellis would be an issue” I have attached the photos of the structure above .

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @luisa

It's a bit hard to tell if that trellis is a structural support piece or is just a design feature. Looking at your other photo, I suspect it is a support piece as it goes under the roofline. It might be some sort of bracing. I suggest leaving it alone and not remove it, just to be on the safe side. 

Eric

jesseydiamond
Cultivating a Following

Have you tried pressure cleaning the concrete? This would probably make a big difference too. We recently had a Jim’s pressure cleaning come do our huge driveway it was $170 and completely changed the look of the front of the house. If not wanting to change anything structural to save on money and unable to move the trellis I would paint the trellis the colour you want and if possible add something to the back of it like a fibre cement sheeting and paint it a contrasting colour. It would feel much neater when sitting under neath. I would also add some screening to one side to close it in a little bit as it’s very open then you can out things like the bbq up against it. You could add some greenery to the screening or even herbs etc that you can use for cooking. Bunnings have premise screens so you could pick a design and then just build a frame to the existing pergola and attach them. 

luisa
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much Jesseydiamond.  Great suggestion.!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects