Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Prepare the turf for synthetic grass

newbie3486
Getting Established

Prepare the turf for synthetic grass

Need hints on how to prepare the turf for installation of grass. Small area approximate 10m by 3m. 

I am not sure where to start, so more details, more helpful. I have some weeds growing in there so expect to put the weed killer a before I start preparing turf, but I am not sure what all steps / tools are involved in that

For eg:

Step X : Level the garden - Should I be using a soil leveller or a roller ?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Prepare the turf for synthetic grass

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @newbie3486. We're here to help you with support and advice so you can tackle your D.I.Y. projects with confidence. 

Do you have any photos of the area where you would like to install the grass? This might help the lawn experts in our community like @Adam_W to give you more specific advice. Were you planning on growing the grass from seed? or installing turf? We have some videos that walk you through the steps for both approaches along with a list of tools and equipment that you will need. To get you started, here is a guide on how to decide on what type of lawn to plant: https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/lawn/what-is-the-best-lawn-type-for-your-home. You might be inspired by the transformation that  @Ben shared in his diary of a lawn makeover.

We'd love to see your progress photos. Welcome and good luck!

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Apologies @newbie3486 , I just noticed the subject of your discussion. You'll find step by step advice on how to lay synthetic turf here https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/lawn/how-to-lay-synthetic-turf.

We'd still love to see your before and after photos!

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi newbie3486,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We'd be more than happy to assist you with your artificial turf project.

Please do take a good look at the step-by-step guide how to lay synthetic turf, which includes all the tools and materials you will need, and then please come back to us with any specific questions that you might have about your project. 

Let me tag @ProjectPete to assist you with your questions about preparing the area as Pete has had lots of experience laying artificial turf. Our resident Bunnings expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to assist when he is back on the site on Friday.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newbie3486,

I trust you found the supplied step-by-step guide useful. You might like to show us an image of the area you wish to lay the grass on. Is it relatively flat at the moment? If you have any holes, you'll want to fill them up with Brunnings 20kg Landscape Paver Sand, and it would be a good idea to do a 50mm coating over the entire area and level it with a Saxon Top Soil Spreader.

As mentioned, please let us know if you have any specific questions that are not covered in the guide.

Mitchell

newbie3486
Getting Established

Thank you very much for helping.

You ouderstood it right the first time. Thanks for the guide for laying down the turf, I was actually looking for prerequisites before I start laying the turf like how to level soil, do I need to install any sheet below the turf to further

IMG_20210202_143612.jpg

reduce growing weeds

@newbie3486,

As I've mentioned above, you need to establish a flat surface and infill any holes with sand. No additional matting needs to be laid as the grass comes with a rubber backing which weeds cannot grow through.

Mitchell

Thank you,  so I believe that fill any holes, level the surface and then install synthetic turf as per the link should suffice?

That's about it @newbie3486. I've laid synthetic grass several times before and those were the steps I took. The grass is still perfect several years later.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc .. I am planning to that this up at the end of current month, will post some pics when done

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects