Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Simple and easy Besser block outdoor bench

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Simple and easy Besser block outdoor bench

I had this empty space that I wanted to convert into a cosy corner. I also wanted a simple project so besser blocks to the rescue. 

A98AEF21-F96C-4053-80D4-5D7436724C75.jpeg

 Finished result

253CB5D6-216E-47F9-AC55-32B27F5D0564.jpeg

 empty backyard space

For this project I used 14 besser blocks, 7 for each side. I used liquid nails for cement and attached 3 blocks on top of each other, only exposing the top holes (shown in picture below). I repeated this for the other 3 blocks. This process was just easier for me to move by myself to get the correct position. 

0EEEBF92-10D5-4394-985E-DDC3A640A8BA.jpeg

I did this for the opposite side of my chair, leaving only 2 blocks for the top. Once I had the correct length I wanted, I glued the middle of the blocks (3x3). The last block was also glued to the top so the holes ran in the same direction. 

83C30085-C0C4-4476-AFCD-A74BF6E31C25.jpeg

I purchased 100x100 sawn pine posts and sanded and stained. It was as easy as slotting the posts into the blocks. 

C7890224-1ADC-4EA3-8FFC-F9C28921D683.jpeg

The back planter was made by attaching fibre cement sheeting to a frame. This was an idea I got from Bunnings ‘how to build a concrete look bench’. 

The fence and besser blocks are painted in the colour monument, added some paving slabs and stones. The side gate was made with pallet wood. Now all I need is a Fire pit! 

Workshop community manager's note:  Inspired by Sandy's creation, experienced Workshop member Rob has shared step-by-step instructions for building your own Besser block bench seat

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Simple and easy besser block outdoor bench

Looks very stylish @sandy_d, especially with the besser blocks painted a darker colour that ties in nicely with the fence.

Thanks so much for sharing another incredible project with us.

For your next project, take a look at this step-by-step guide to building a fire pit.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@StevieBwow that looks amazing, I think I’m going to have to try that! Thank you for your support :smile: 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Look forward to seeing it @sandy_d and let us know if you need a hand.

Stevie

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @sandy_d,

We featured this project on Instagram and had a comment about the cost of the project. If you wouldn't mind sharing, it would be great if you could share what the total cost for this project was for other members looking to get a similar look.

Stevie

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@StevieB @Thank you so much I have updated with material cost on Instagram also.  the besser blocks were $3.80 each x14=$53.20 the sawn treated post (100x100) 6x$18.40 = $110.40

Pavers 450x450 are $12.49 each so x4 =$49.96 So the total cost on the bench and pavers was $213.56.

The paint I had purchased for the house in the colour monument and the stones I purchased local due to the Victoria lockdown. So with stones and paint and glue, the project cost just under $300. I hope this helps 😊

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Fantastic, thanks so much @sandy_d.

It's great to know what can be achieved on a small budget.

Stevie

can i ask where can buy the block

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Simple and easy Besser block outdoor bench

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sylviad. It's wonderful that you've decided to join us, and many thanks for your question about Besser blocks.

These appear to be standard Brighton Masonry 390 x 190 x 190mm Full Besser Blocks and should be available at your local Bunnings Warehouse. It's always best to give the store a quick call before you head in to make sure they are currently in stock.

Were you thinking of recreating this amazing project? I trust @sandy_d would be more than happy to answer any questions you had.

I look forward to seeing your results. Please let me know if you require further assistance with your purchase.

Mitchell

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Re: Simple and easy Besser block outdoor bench

@MitchellMc @Sylviad Thank you Mitchell. Yes they are the Brighton masonry besser blocks and all material was purchased from Bunnings. I’m more than happy to help if you have any questions 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects