Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Simple but effective mouse/rat bait stations for fences

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Simple but effective mouse/rat bait stations for fences

For those like myself that may have had or be having mice / rat issues and have found their droppings along the fence railings then this very simple solution I used may be of use to you.

First off before anything you want to have a good walk around your yard and look for anything they could be hiding under or making a nest under, they are very quick to make new nests where they can. Carefully lift items for 2 reasons 1. You don't really want to disturb them and make them run rather come back with some bait and place it near the nest so that you wipe them out. 2. There might also be a visitor of the snake kind there and yep it happened to me right beside a rats nest luckily only a 3ft python with a rat in its belly already.

So get all your items up off the ground same goes with garden sheds or big sheds anywhere these little pests like to keep warm and breed.

Now for the fence rail bait stations.

I used a 1m piece of 40mm pvc plumbing pipe which I cut in thirds using a hack saw.

I capped 1 end of each pipe with a 40mm pvc end cap per pipe

I then purchased some 40mm full saddles though I used 1 or 2 per pipe depending on if I could slip it behind the rail or not.

I put some pet friendly rat poison in each tube not filling it up just enough for a small meal for a rat.

I then found the best place on the rail where the saddle would slip behind and hold the pipe in place with a slight downward angle as pictured.

This method works I have picked up a few rats from it and I have no other baits set.

The pet friendly bait is extremely good they are dead within 10min and the peace of mind knowing pets are safe.

As always read the manufacturer instructions before use.

20220620_110414.jpg

20220620_110505.jpg

20220620_110522.jpg

20220620_110529.jpg

20220601_125651.jpg

     

received_769329057372140.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Simple but effective mouse/rat bait stations for fences

Hi @CSParnell

Thank you for sharing such a simple but effective bait station for your fence. You're choice of 40mm I believe is perfect for rats or mice. It's big enough for the smaller mammals but small enough that regular-sized pets can't get at it. When you say cut into thirds, is that based on the standard 1-meter length pipe available at the store? That would make the bait station roughly just a little over 300mm? Any other tips and tricks you can share for rat and mice control would be much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing your excellent bait station project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi Eric,

Sorry yes it was a 1m length purchased from Bunnings.

All the materials can be found from your local Bunnings store.

I also make sure the bait is at the closed end of the tube out of reach of any pets even though it is pet friendly bait.

The length of the tube with the bait at the closed end also keeps the pellets dry.

If you know you are having a fairly significant infestation then it doesn't hurt to do a walk around morning and afternoon looking for dead mice / rats.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi CS Parnall.

Just curious - what makes this product deadly to rats but not cats and dogs?

Cheers!

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

20220621_113336.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you for that CSParnell.

So the rat dehydrates and dies.

I'll look for this product.

I stopped using the traditional RatSack with anticoagulant when our dog consumed 10 grams of it a year ago. A long story. A long week in 'doggy' hospital.

Cheers.

Graeme.

20220510_222604.jpg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Thats horrible, yeah I was very concerned using any baits with my little Jack Russell x Mini Foxy around but no issue at all except the bloody snake then I was more concerned it would strangle him so he was moved on to greener fields.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects