Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Steel frame for decking

Kana
Just Starting Out

Steel frame for decking

Good Morning 

Iam in the prep stages of building my very own decking in my new home just recently build.Iam considering a steel frame to use and wondering how to get one ready made for a 3.6m by 3.8m ?

Kana
Just Starting Out

Re: steel frame for decking

Also its a ground level based,The area is mostly hard surface rocks.am also considering to use very low concrete and post to hold the decking but not sure if that a good idea or just lay it on the ground.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kana,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your decking project and other plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Normally I would ask the ever-helpful @MitchellMc to assist you, but he is taking a well-earned break at the moment. Let me tag some other helpful members in @Brad, @TedBear and @Adam_W to see if they can share their thoughts. I would also recommend you take a look at Adam's comprehensive guide How to build a low-level deck.

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have used a steel flooring kit for a shed floor using decking.

Bunnings do have a custom order service for steel decking frames.

steel deck 

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Steel frame for decking

Hi @Kana I can recommend the Steel Deck product highly.
I first used it for a pool deck and have since used it for our entire renovation!
Found it super easy to use once you get your head around the assembly basics & their team are very helpful.
For custom sizes you can just give them plans & they come back with full specs & pricing and you can also get an engineering certificate from them if needed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Steel frame for decking

Hi @Kana,

It's great to see you've received helpful replies from @Brad and @Adam_W

You can place your frame directly on the rock surface. However, you might find that it is uneven, and in this case, you must level it out on either concrete pads, packers or posts.

Please let me know if you need further information on our Steel-Deck product range. If you see our Special Orders team at your local store with your sizes, they'll be able to arrange a quote for you from the manufacturer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects