Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Termites to terrific - backyard make over on a budget

Tocikjaa
Building a Reputation

Termites to terrific - backyard make over on a budget

IMG_1292.JPG

I moved into a neglected house last year, and there was a crumbling termite infested shed in the backyard. We ended up tearing down the shed (and treating for termites), which left a sunken pit in the garden bed (aka sand/weed bed). Given that I was on a tight budget, I had to work out the most cost effective way to transform the space. At the time, the house only had a poxy three wire pull out clothes line - not ideal!

We ended up erecting a Hills Hoist rotary clothes line, and filled the pit with sand from the adjoining garden bed. We used 600x600 mm cement pavers and basalt stones to create an eye catching, functional and cheap floor cover for the area. 

We then moved on to the garden bed. After lots of weeding, soil conditioning and love, we managed to create a neat and inviting area. We built the cantilever out of H4 pine posts, reomesh and wire. The bench was a market place steal, and the plants were all marked down or clippings. 

All up, the garden bed and clothes line area cost under $1000. Unless you consider the physical cost... in that case the cement pavers may cost you a sore back for a couple of days. 

1.JPG2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPGIMG_1289.JPGIMG_1260.JPGIMG_1262.JPGIMG_1273.JPGIMG_1268.JPG

Eloise
Cultivating a Following

Re: Termites to terrific - backyard make over on a budget

Well done! You have definitely made the most of the space on a budget. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You've done a remarkable job of transforming the neglected space into a functional location @Tocikjaa. It all looks wonderful! Are you planning on growing a climbing plant up and over the cantilevered wire? Is that a bougainvillea already planted?

Congrats on a marvellous project. I trust you'll enjoy the area for many years to come.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Afternoon ! @Tocikjaa 

Love ya backyard! You must be pleased with the result.

And I love the lights - I always like seeing a lighted backyard at night. Great for beer and fire buckets.

Tocikjaa
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc! We have already got so much use out of the space. 

Yes, I have planted a couple of bougainvillea under the cantilever. The garden bed cops afternoon sun, so I’m hoping the bougainvillea can eventually create a canopy to shade the area. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Tocikjaa
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Noyade!

Yes, very happy with the space. 
The festoons certainly create a great atmosphere year round. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects