Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can I use for a caravan floor?

Bec08
Finding My Feet

What can I use for a caravan floor?

I’m looking to lay vinyl over the existing vinyl in the caravan. I bought Gerflor senso vinyl planks but it says not to lay over vinyl or in caravans. What can I use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What can I use for a caravan floor?

Hello @Bec08 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your caravan flooring.

I propose having a look at the large single sheet vinyl flooring such as the Senso 3m Nordic White Lifestyle Sheet Vinyl. This vinyl sheet should be large enough to cover your caravan flooring. There are several colours and widths available, I suggest visiting your local store and see which one you like. 

In regards to your existing flooring, I recommend removing it so that you'll have a nice new flat floor when you install the new vinyl sheet.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: 10 caravan renovations

Let me call on our experienced members @Peggers @LizzieCro and @twocutekelpies for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LizzieCro
Making a Splash

Hi @Bec08

Is your van a touring van or onsite van?  I’ve used vinyl planks in two onsite vans and one touring van. I did know the company warn against using them for that purpose so did whatever I could to make sure my prep work wasn’t lacking. There’s been no failure at all with the two onsites, they’ve adhered brilliantly despite the extreme temperature variations within the van. I sold my touring van a few months after I did the floor so can’t personally comment on that one. I did completely remove the old vinyl first, sanded the floor, primed it and also used a flooring adhesive on the planks. I’m on a lot of caravan forums and a lot of people have success with vinyl planks. Some don’t. Certainly, as said above, laying sheet vinyl will guarantee success.

@LizzieCro 

It’s a touring van, I was hoping to lay over the existing vinyl :smile:

In that case I definitely would stick to sheet vinyl. Just be aware, though, of the additional weight it’ll add to the van, if you don’t remove the old stuff first. Always a good idea to weigh and record every additional thing you install in the van. You can void your insurance if the weight is more than the van’s allowance.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects