Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to use to level backyard before installing artificial turf?

danil22
Just Starting Out

What to use to level backyard before installing artificial turf?

Hi,

I am planning to install artificial turf on my backyard, around 25 m2. However, before I can do that I have to lift the ground level 60 mm. What is the filling material or materials that you'd recommend?    

Cheers

Dani

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What to use to level backyard before installing artificial turf?

Hi @danil22,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. 

Apologies for the slow reply. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in Mitch has needed to take some unexpected leave to be with his family. I'm sure @EricL will be happy to help as soon as possible, and other members who have laid artificial turf include @homeinmelbourne and @ProjectPete

In the meantime, I hope you find the Bunnings guide How to lay synthetic turf useful. The discussion Is it important to level a backyard before laying out artificial turf? also contains helpful advice.   

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Hi @danil22 ,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop community! We’ve laid a couple of areas of synthetic turf in our backyard (DIY backyard golf putting green & Tidying up an odd-shaped area in the backyard) and this was our method:

1. Excavate the pre-determined area to a depth of 130mm to create room for the sub base. 5.png

2. Lay down a weed/landscape mat across the area. Untitled design-2.png

3. Spread 100mm of crushed rock or road base and level the area using a rake or spreader. 
  4. Run over the area 2-3 times (until desired level is achieved) with a plate compactor. IMG_9704.jpg

1.png

5. Screed over a layer (roughly 20mm) of paving sand and compact it again until the desired level is achieved. (If you’d like to take it a step further, you can screed over a second layer of sand with a spirit level and lightly compact with a water-filled barrel roller). 9.png

IMG1283.png

6. Lay synthetic turf over your prepared base using galvanised pins every 150mm around the perimeter area and roughly 300mm on the inside area. We used green U-shaped landscape pins to join the turf rolls together. 2-2.png

7. Top dress with silica sand over the synthetic turf area and brush it into the turf pile. IMG_9706.PNG 

IMG_6536.png

Best-Garden-Makeover-W3.jpg

Hope this is helpful in your artificial turf install! 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @danil22 

I believe @homeinmelbourne's in depth recommendation has covered all the bases regarding ground preparation for artificial turf. Their putting green setup is immaculate. I propose visiting your local store and speaking to the special orders desk in regards to ordering crushed rock, road base and sand. While you are at the store, I also suggest having a look at the compactor for hire.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects