Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tool can break concrete?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

What tool can break concrete?

Hi everyone, 

just want to update with our latest progress, we are working with our plumber to install 3 drainage pits and some capiphon belts

but we will be responsible for excavation (30cm depth) before the plumber install the pipes

we have a few large chunk of concrete left by previous owner buried underground and our rotary hammer is simply not powerful enough

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-1500w-sds-rotary-hammer-drill_p0013582?region_id=118018&gclid=CjwK...

is there any portable equipment we can rent from bunnings ?

2)We have digged out a lot of clay soil with rocks and are planning to backfill the trench with better soil after the pipe installation

But last time when we went to landscape company to buy soil for installing turf, the staff asked us to elaborate what soil we exactly wanted and told us its called "topsoil" 

So, what is the type of soil we need to buy this time for backfilling a 30mm trench? what is it called? 

Thank you for any ideas

signal-2022-09-28-13-56-12-793.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What tool can break concrete?

Hi @ivanptr,

I definitely would not be using a drill. I imagine most people would recommending a jackhammer. In this similar discussion about removing a piece of concrete, Mitch recommended a demolition hammer. But as it's a reasonably small piece of concrete, hopefully some manual labour, a crowbar and a hammer could do the trick. 

I would recommending you again use topsoil as I assume you are going to want to plant above the new trench. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Adam,

It seems hire shop doesnt offer demolition tools

https://trade.bunnings.com.au/trade-services/hire-shop

_________

Is it okay to backfill topsoil into the 30cm depth trench? would topsoil be too soft that if we step on the soil, it will exert too much pressure on the pvc pipe?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Personally, I would try a Hart sledge hammer.

It's cathartic and a good cardiac and muscle workout.

And cheap.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hart-3-63kg-8lbs-fibrecore-cross-strike-sledge-hammer_p0167502?region_id...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

We have small and large breakers available for hire. The small breaker isn't all that much more powerful than your current rotary hammer drill, so it might be an idea to go for the large breaker.

I recommend you backfill most of the trench with the same material you removed from it whilst digging. If you want some nicer soil for grass to grow into, you can fill that last 10cm with topsoil. The topsoil or the removed soil will be fine above the new pipework.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thanks!! it really helps a lot!

Screenshot_20221016-184303_Chrome.jpg

@MitchellMc 

a few questions about the hire (large breaker):

1) is it very heavy and can it fit into our sedan? 

2) why is 24hrs hire rate even more expensive than 5 days+ ($90)?

3) Out of stock for all stores near us ? which store actually has hire shop?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ivanptr,

That particular large breaker weighs 30kg. You won't be lifting that weight all the time while using it as it sits on the concrete. There is a medium breaker that is significantly lighter if you don't think you can manage the larger one. There's also an option to hire a breaker trolley that suits the medium breaker, but not the large. If your back seats fold down, it will go in your sedan easily, or if you remove the chisel bit, you should get it in the boot.

The two prices are both for 24hrs. Yet if you hire the unit for more than five days, the 24hr rate goes down in price.

These larger tools are an extended Hire Shop range offered through Coates. You simply need to speak to a team member at your nearest store, and they can book the tool for you. You'll then pick the tool up from your nearest Coates outlet, or it can be delivered to you for an additional fee. When you speak with the Hire Shop team member, please specify that it is a Coates tool you wish to book through the store.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects