Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What would you do for this small backyard/ deck?

hughs777
Growing in Experience

What would you do for this small backyard/ deck?

Hi all, 

I am new to renovating outdoors and would like your opinion on my ideals for this small backyard. I am located in Gladesville, Sydney, and this is our first house.

The block is a battleaxe and at the moment this is our car park/ backyard at the rear of the house. We gain access through a right of carriageway that the back owner shares. 

I would like to add the following. Some of this I can do, the others I will get professionals to do! I would like to complete in the following rough order..  The more expensive upgrades will come in time from a cash flow perspective.  

• High pressure hose everywhere (when the water restrictions change) 
  • Clean fence and paint a dark grey with a spray gun and brush
  • Privacy screens and screening plants (Trying to work out a good style) Ideas welcome 
  • Paint the decking directly next to the windows (This will be eventually replaced when the cash flow permits) 
  • Resurface the driveway stenciled concrete (I have to maintain the drainage and storm water flow) > How would you do this? Paint or can I put a nicer stone / paver directly on top of this? I will get a professional to do the paving if it is possible to do it directly on the stenciled concrete??
  • New decking outside the windows and above the bed rock and wrap around the building 
  • New plants and planter boxes/ screening etc (Trying to work out types of plants that are drought resistant etc) 
  • New Windows / sliding doors (eventually) by a company. I am thinking a colour change and either bi-folds or something more modern 
  • If I paint the sides of the house grey, I would like someone to re-clad the old style cladding currently on the extension. 
  • Many ideas I have. Too little time. G 1_LI.jpgG 2_LI.jpgGladesville 3.jpgGladesville 4 (2).jpgGladesville 5_LI.jpgG 6 (2).jpgG 7_LI.jpg

Any ideas welcome and I appreciate your input! 

Cheers 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What would you do for this small backyard/ deck?

Sounds like you are going to be very busy @hughs777. But I’m sure the ever-helpful Workshop community will be more than happy to assist along the way. It must be such an exciting time for you with your new house. Great to see all your ideas and photos.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. We are looking forward to seeing you put your stamp on your house. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hughs777
Growing in Experience

Thanks mate! Yes, very busy but good to buy a house that needs a bit of love outside. :smile: 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Ripping up and replacing all the paving will be expensive @hughs777.

I would definitely try cleaning them with high pressure and then using a paving paint. Not expensive and could really help transform the space. 

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Congrats on the new digs @hughs777! Lots of potential there too 😀

Succulents are always a winner for low maintenance and low water users.

Modular Walls are a great product/business for most fencing needs. You can DIY or have a local installer do it for you. Very good value for the quality you get. If you go for something cheaper (but obviously still great quality) Bunnings has a great range of privacy screens which you could leave bare (simple stain/paint) or grow creepers over them to add some green and life like what I did to hide my hot water systems. Simple and cost effective.

Keen to see how you go

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
hughs777
Growing in Experience

Thanks, @Kermit! I agree, and I see the paving paint is quite good quality these days with different textures. 

Looking forward to the easing of water restrictions on 1 March so I can do the high pressure~!

hughs777
Growing in Experience

Thanks @ProjectPete ! Your work on the hot water systems looks great! Will keep you posted as I go along but agree with what you said! Cheers! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects