Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to find a tall pole at least 3m long?

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Where to find a tall pole at least 3m long?

Does Bunnings sell at least 3m or 10ft tall pole or tripod for camera or anything similar with same length? Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tall pole

Hi @Cattoos,

Nothing that is specifically designed for that purpose or has an adaptor thread that a camera could attach to. There is the Adam Hall 123cm Lighting Stand W/ Tv Spigot Adapter Slts017 Large - Black that has a max height of 3500mm, but it's designed for mounting a TV or lighting on, so it would need to be modified to accept a camera mount.

I made a similar device by using a pool cleaning extension pole and attaching a threaded bolt to the handle onto which a camera could attach. What type of camera do you need to mount?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Thanks. It is an outdoor battery camera to monitor my car in the front porch as I live at the back in granny flat. So, I need a tall pole so that I can set up my camera inside the gate instead of outside (to avoid being stolen). I like your idea of extension pole as it is in my budget. Adam hall is out of my budget.

This is the camera I want to attach to the extension pole (see attached). Lost its holder though. Can I use 3M sticker tape to hold this camera onto the pole? Thanks.Screen Shot 2023-10-01 at 1.47.48 pm.png

Your thoughts? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I believe 3m double-sided tape should work, but I'd also recommend using a couple of velcro straps or cable ties to ensure the camera doesn't fall off @Cattoos. Pipe saddles would be useful in attaching the pole to a solid object, like a wall or post.

Mitchell

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. That's really helpful. Any ideas on how to prevent my camera from being stolen? I guess with the height of the pole and velcros, it would be hard to steal. 

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The height would be a deterrent, @Cattoos. Is this an ongoing issue with someone targeting your camera, or are you just looking to make it harder to steal? I think hiding its position is the best way to prevent someone from removing the camera, so if you can obscure it from view, that would be a good start. 

Mitchell

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Thanks. Yes, the thing is my car is parked in a way in the front porch that the camera would be visible even if it is inside the gate due to the distance and angle of the car. So, just wondering how to camouflage the camera as something else so it doesn't gather attention. Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Given the elevation, I think it would be hard to disguise the camera @Cattoos. If you wanted to be sneaky, you could cut an opening in a plastic owl and mount the camera inside. You could then mount the owl on your pole. 

Mitchell

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Cattoos and @MitchellMc 

"Any ideas on how to prevent my camera from being stolen?"

I think if thieves are determined enough - they will steal anything and everything - from my personal experience (but not as a thief). Decades ago when 240V motion detector lights cost a small fortune - a neigbour down the road installed the first one in our street only to have it stolen the next night!

I think height could be the deterrent and/or hiding it (as per Mitchell's suggestion) by using a Get Smart approach. Is there anything else in the area where we could mask/deploy the camera?

I also like Mitchell's suggestion of the pool cleaning pole above or maybe gal pipe.

A few years ago there was a neighborhood rumour circulating that thieves were entering one property - and exiting the back fences on the adjoining property. Proved to me a myth - but as usual I went into overkill and produced a 6 metre floodlight mounted into two homemade brackets that allowed 360 degrees rotation.

I'm not suggesting the same - but a floodlight on a pole with the camera just under it? Possibly a telescoping pole for easy access. Maybe the camera could be installed in a dead floodlight and keep the extension cord attached (non-functional) to keep the illusion.

Please keep us informed - but not too informed - thieves could be watching. 😁

Yours in Security.

Graeme.

20231001_174918.jpg

20231001_175738.jpg

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much. This was helpful. I m actually also looking for a 3m or 10ft power outlet to plug itin from inside my flat. Does bunnings sell something 10ft long power outlet cable? Also, you are right, thieves have climbed over my fence and ran away from another houses so this is common. Also, if someone asks me (such as neighbours) that what is this new thing I have near my gate, what should I answer as I dont want to tell them it is a camera.

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects