Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to find a tall pole at least 3m long?

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Where to find a tall pole at least 3m long?

Does Bunnings sell at least 3m or 10ft tall pole or tripod for camera or anything similar with same length? Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tall pole

Hi @Cattoos,

My first thought would be to look for suitable long-term secure parking for your vehicle and remove it from your property during your travels. At least if it's not at the property you won't have to worry about it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cattoos
Growing in Experience

bondtwo.jpegone.jpeg

Hi @MitchellMc I bought poly bond and applied to the wooden pole and set up my camera on my gate now. please see images but the issue is the bond is supposed to be like nails and hard cement but it is not strong at all as you can see i applied alot of it and i m worried my camera and pole will fall off. Will it be strong after it dries or how does it work to hold heavy objects in place? thanks

Also, if the front tenants question that why I placed this camera suddenly, what excuse can I give? Should I say that it is from the council, police or etc? or any other good excuse? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cattoos 

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with poly bond. However, if you wish to secure the post to the fence, I suggest adding an angle bracket in combination with Zenith 8G x 25mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Metal Screws to your timber post to prevent it from falling down.

One other option to secure your vehicle is to install a dash cam that has a 24hr parking mode and motion sensor to ensure your interests are covered even when you’re not driving. If you have any family members living close by perhaps you can park your vehicle there while you are away.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Cattoos
Growing in Experience

Thanks but I m not allowed to drill any screws etc as it is rented property. I applied this to the wooden and metal gate to stick the wooden pole: https://www.bunnings.com.au/poly-320g-ultra-nails-construction-adhesive_p1230092?store=7016&gad_sour...

but it is not too strong as I thought. Even dried it is not hard or strong as cement or nails to hold onto the metal gate my wooden pole. 

Can you recommend any parking mode dashcams as they will need to be hard wired that would cost so much to get it installed with the battery of my car.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cattoos 

Thanks for identifying the adhesive that you used.  The Poly 320g Ultra Nails Construction Adhesive might work if the flat face of the timber and the flat surface of the fence rail were facing each other. But it will not work as a point or edge adhesive, the flat surfaces of the materials must be joined together to make it work. 

The adhesive has a 24hour drying time so please be patient. In the meantime, I suggest putting tape on the post to support it while the adhesive cures.

In regards to the dash cam, you are correct it will need to be installed by an automotive electrician. There is a lot to choose from and it depends on what your budget is. 

However, I recommend keeping these features in mind when you start looking: 

• Night vision - it can see in total darkness.

• WiFi connectivity - it can send you reports when someone comes near your vehicle.

• Loop recording - enables the device to automatically overwrite the oldest video files when storage reaches capacity.

• Parking mode - parking mode allows you to keep your dash cam running while your car is parked, and the engine is off.

But before purchasing your dash cam, I propose speaking to your electrician regarding battery consumption of the camera. It is technically possible to drain the cars battery if your camera is left on for too long in park mode. Your electrician will be able to offer you options regarding this.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects