Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

1890's waterfront cottage renovation

Christine66
Growing in Experience

1890's waterfront cottage renovation

afterafter

I am a 66 years old female and have just finished 2 years (well, are we ever really finished) of renovating an 1890's cottage.

I  had someone else do electrics, roof and window installation but by the time it came to building the deck I was feeling my age and got someone else to do it. 99% of what you see was bought at Bunnings.

I patched existing timber walls and ceilings and put up new ones using primed tongue and groove timber.

I replaced front exterior timber walls with H3 primed timber tongue and groove and and sides with FC panels and timber battens.

The back had exposed sewage pipes so I built a planter box and cover the wall with timber.

The kitchen was an 80's black granite and shiny cream cabinets. I took inspiration from a kitchen featured on the front of a Bunnings magazine and went with the black granite and did a black and white colour palette after adding timber cover strips to the doors for a shaker style and used dulux renovator and white knight renew to paint the cupboards.

There was a tall counter surrounding the kitchen which I reduced the height of and added a timber feature to mimic the fretwork we uncovered in the lounge room. I retiled 1 bathroom after replacing one wall and waterproofing. The other bathroom had an original clawfoot tub which I wanted to save so had to paint those tiles with White Knight tile and laminate paint. I blocked off an unused window with villaboard and because the bathroom was tiled in an old unavailable size, I had to cut each new tile to size. the bath was restored with Rustoleum Tub n Tile.

I love renovating but this was my biggest and I think this will be my last.

sorry it's around the wrong waysorry it's around the wrong way20220709_133418.jpg20220710_095530.jpgb1 beforeb1 beforeduringduringb1 afterb1 afterback beforeback before  back afterback afterbeforebeforeafteraftersunroom beforesunroom beforesunroom after  new walls ceiling and floorssunroom after new walls ceiling and floors20220711_141825.jpg20200312_104009.jpgwindow I closed off and tiled overwindow I closed off and tiled overtiledtiledpaintedpaintedfront before, getting a new rooffront before, getting a new roofafterafter

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 1890's waterfront cottage

Congratulations @Christine66, all your hard work was certainly worth it. The house looks terrific. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your renovation experiences. I'm sure the community will be eager to learn from you. 

Thanks for sharing, 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @Christine66 

That looks wonderful! 😁

Is that a railway track - to move the boat in/out of the water?

Railway.PNG

Christine66
Growing in Experience

Hi Noyade,

Thanks. Yes, that's exactly what it is and it works really well. It did take me 2.2 years to get permission though.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects