Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Air plant shadow box

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Air plant shadow box

I made this shadow box out of some moulding from dismantling my old 90's entertainment unit. Cut using a mitre box, sanded, primed then painted with the same as the wall colour of the bathroom. Hanger ($5.48) and air plant ($8.73) both from Bunnings. I already had all supplies including screws and cup hook. Total cost $14.21. Another air plant idea is to drill a hole into the top of a piece of tree branch. This one I got from a branch that had blown down in a storm at work. I reglued the bark back on with PVA wood glue and it only cost me the price of the air plant $8.73. 

IMG_20211226_140304.jpg

IMG_20211226_140225.jpg

IMG_20211211_101114.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Air plant shadow box

Those are both super cool, @kacharash4! I'm exceptionally fond of the tree branch that you've repurposed. How big was the hole that you drilled in it? Also, since theses are air plants, I presume they wouldn't need much or any potting medium?

Greats ideas. Well done, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your interest in my project. The branch is approx 70mm across so I used a 25mm spade bit, just deep enough for the plant to sit by itself. I have it sitting on my bathroom window sill so there is no wind blowing it etc. It allows me to water it without wetting the log. No dirt etc used, just moisture from the bathroom, and a spray of water on the hotter days. I also have this one which is a piece of coral with natural holes in it.

IMG_20211123_172859.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kacharash4

It's always fantastic to hear when materials are repurposed for another project. Your shadow box looks great, I'm sure the air plant will appreciate all the heavy moisture coming from the shower. How did you mount the shadow box to the wall? It looks very neatly done and I don't see any angle brackets holding it. 

Thank you so much for sharing this project.

Eric 

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

You have great attention to detail!! Because the shadow box was installed high on the wall, I got away with one picture frame triangle in the centre mounted on a bear claw hanger. It's just visible above the box at a distance but allows an almost flat fit to the wall. The bear claws don't need a wall plug for light items, so no big hole in the wall was needed. If I can find some more moulding, I'm looking at doing another one to be hung directly underneath, but may need to look at another method of hanging eg keyhole hangers or something similar, so the fixtures will be hidden. Will weigh up the options if/when the time comes.

AliceBuilds
Finding My Feet

Groovy !!

How have You attached the box to the wall 🤔

Looks good! :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AliceBuilds

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @kacharash4 to make them aware of your question. If you have a look at my last post, I asked the very same question because I was very impressed at how the shadow box was mounted. If I understand correctly a single Everhang 10kg Brass Plated Picture Framing Triangle was attached to the shadow box. They then used a Hangman Double Headed Black Bear Claw on the wall. Are you planning on making your own shadow box? If you have any questions we can help with, please let us know. Our members would be more than happy to offer advice and information.

We look forward to seeing your project.

Eric

Thanks Eric !

No shadow boxes for Me . I've never heard this stuff explained before. It is awesome to be able find out how to do things 😁 . So, I am keen to learn from EveryOnes posts and get some HowTo knowledge into My brain 🙏

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

You are spot on Eric. The fixtures can be seen from a distance, but when in the bathroom it looks like a floating shelf effect. I was going to use keyhole mounting but it looked a bit out of my league and I don't have a router. Here are some photos which hopefully are clear. Thanks AliceBuilds for your response, it really is an easy project for a beginner to tackle. I'm no expert at all and definitely have my L Plates on with tools and DIY. You just have to give it a go.

IMG_20220104_215454~2.jpg

IMG_20220104_215725.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects