Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Air plant shadow box

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Air plant shadow box

I made this shadow box out of some moulding from dismantling my old 90's entertainment unit. Cut using a mitre box, sanded, primed then painted with the same as the wall colour of the bathroom. Hanger ($5.48) and air plant ($8.73) both from Bunnings. I already had all supplies including screws and cup hook. Total cost $14.21. Another air plant idea is to drill a hole into the top of a piece of tree branch. This one I got from a branch that had blown down in a storm at work. I reglued the bark back on with PVA wood glue and it only cost me the price of the air plant $8.73. 

IMG_20211226_140304.jpg

IMG_20211226_140225.jpg

IMG_20211211_101114.jpg

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Re: Air plant shadow box

Hi @AliceBuilds 

Thanks for the interest in my project. I am a definite L Plater with tools and DIY. Here are some photos of how I mounted to the wall. The bear claw hanger is just visible from a distance, but when in the bathroom it looks like a floating shelf. Only one way to learn and that's to give it a go. 

IMG_20220104_215725.jpg

IMG_20220104_215454~2.jpg

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Not quite related - but I too like Air plants - Tillandsia species. I make little desktopper presents for friends and family. Here is one I made last year. Note the use of the scrabble letters for a friend who loves the game was a personal touch. The wood is a bit rescued LVL from a building site rubbish heap (yes I asked first.) 

20211221_124204.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"I was going to use keyhole mounting but it looked a bit out of my league and I don't have a router."

As I live and breath - I've never heard of this!

I love this forum!

I did some googling - and watched some YouTube - amazing. I tried looking on the Bunnings site but couldn't find the router bits?

Do you need a router table?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

And yet another brilliant looking product I've never seen before!

"They then used a Hangman Double Headed Black Bear Claw on the wall"

Thanks Eric! :smile:

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Noyade ,

I wanted the shadow box to be flush with the wall and didn't quite know how to do it. The keyhole hangers looked a bit tricky to fit from Googling and it seemed a router was used to cut an oval hole which the keyhole hanger fits over?? Not sure if this is the only way maybe a drill could be used?? That's why I went with the picture frame triangle and the bear claw hanger. I've used these before and for light items, a wall plug isn't needed to fix to plaster meaning a smaller hole in the wall. They work well with picture wire or triangles and are very sturdy and easy to install. Yeah I agree this forum is awesome for learner and advanced DIY. Thanks for your comments.

kacharash4
Cultivating a Following

Hi @robchin,

Nice idea and a personal touch is always a good thing. Air plants are so versatile and I love them too. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects