Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom feature wall

sper
Building a Reputation

Bedroom feature wall

StevieB_0-1644968723380.jpegHello everyone,

I need some help wrt choosing Color for kids room feature wall. I am after a neutral tone Color and want to know if I should go with low-sheen or Matt finish Color. And if I want to add glitter which one would be a good choice.

BTW I tried a light purple low-sheen with brush and it doesn’t look good at all. 
thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help with color for feature wall in kids room

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sper. It's brilliant to have you join us and many thanks for your question about colour selection.

Choosing colours is a very personal choice, so it's quite challenging for someone to suggest colours that you find appealing and that match your decor'. I'd suggest you start by googling kids room colour palettes. You'll find thousands of options and examples of their use. 

Have you tried the Dulux colour app? It allows you to take a picture of the room and then virtually paint the walls. 

Low-sheen will be much easier to clean marks off than matt paint. So, for a child's room, I'd be going with low-sheen.

You can use Dulux 500ml Design Glitter Effect Diamond Paint for your glitter effect. This will give you a shimmer effect but won't resemble children's craft glitter with a much larger particle. You could do a test section to see how Dulux 300g Duramax Multi Glitter Spray Paint goes over water-based wall paint. However, it's designed to go over Dulux Duramax topcoats, so I'm not sure if it's going to react unusually. If you're willing to experiment, you could try mixing standard craft glitter with your wall paint. I'd do a base coat without it, and then the final coat with the glitter added. You'd need a substantial amount to see it in the final coat.

Let me mention @prettyliving and @Tara86 to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sper
Building a Reputation

Hey Mitchell,

Thanks for the awesome tips and suggestions. Dulux color app is awesome.

I have picked up the low sheen color to try, hopefully will share the outcome soon.

Good idea about adding standard glitter to the final coat, but not sure if I should experiment it or not.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd experiment, but that's me @sper. However, I'd recommend you do a test section on a sheet of cardboard before committing to the wall.

I can't wait to see your finished project. What colour did you end up going for?

Mitchell

sper
Building a Reputation

I picked the Dulux Ticking (dark grey colour) and I hope it will look great with some white/golden things going on its front.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh nice, post some pictures when you're done! I'm sure our members will appreciate the inspiration.

Mitchell

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hello Sper, I have just painted anything that didn’t move quick enough. First are the children girls or boys. I personally would ask them what colour then paint it something you would like 😆 I am not surprised the purple looked horrid putting it on with a brush.. It would be good if you could get a roller. So I don’t confuse you , go to Bunnings and the paint section you will get so much help.As far as using a Matt paint with kids I just wouldn’t as cleaning marks will be impossible or expensive. I would suggest using a low sheen wash and wear and apply it with a roller.Use the brush for cutting in. Colours! Yellow is popular at the moment and it won’t matter what gender the children are.There are so  many yellows  but again if you ask for help you will be asked the size of the room,decor etc.Good luck with your venture best wishes brenda

sper
Building a Reputation

Hey @brendawebster44 

Staff member in the paintshop was very helpful and suggested to go with a low-sheen and roller. Exactly followed their suggestion and now will see how it looks after the finish.

Kids are girls but I have picked the dark gray color which goes with theme of our house. She loves purple but it didn't look that great so now she is happy with my choice :smile:

Hahaha 😝 well you have to live with it too.

hazesnow
Making a Splash

CB985FD2-9657-4D6B-A8F9-551209B7EC60.jpeg

C41FF8F7-B5B1-48FE-BA52-E0D81A274D5C.jpeg

 we did this in our back room that the grandkids sleep in, they love it! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects