Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Big Rig wooden models

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

Big Rig wooden models

Here in Minlaton, South Australia I design & build realistic Big Rig wooden models plus even draw up the woodworking plans for those who are interested in this of wood working.

Been a woodworker for as long as I can remember,- Grew up on a Southern Yorke Peninsula farm, but enjoyed wood work heaps more than farm work.

In my younger days, I worked on house projects, concreting work, and furniture restoration, plus even built a bit of timber furniture, etc., etc,- but now I am an, " oldie, " with a few, " creaking hinges, " I prefer designing & building wooden models of our Aussie Big Rigs.some of which, when completed stretch all of 2.9 metres in length !!

1:20 scale Side-tip Quad,1:20 scale Side-tip Quad," Only, " 2.9 metres in length." Only, " 2.9 metres in length.Classic Superliner & tri-axle Low-LoaderClassic Superliner & tri-axle Low-LoaderPair of Kenworth T909'sPair of Kenworth T909'sOne is USA,- One is Aussie.One is USA,- One is Aussie.B-double flat-top.B-double flat-top.The, " Bandit, " - in my back yard !The, " Bandit, " - in my back yard !K108 & a " load, " of West End Beer.K108 & a " load, " of West End Beer.T909 & a load of, Coca-Cola.T909 & a load of, Coca-Cola.Front-angled pic of the T909.Front-angled pic of the T909.Rear doors opened to show the " load. "Rear doors opened to show the " load. "K108 & a B-Double tanker.K108 & a B-Double tanker.Close-up of k108 & B-double tankerClose-up of k108 & B-double tankerAnother Load of, West-End Beer.Another Load of, West-End Beer.T909 tri-drive hauling a triple tanker road-train.T909 tri-drive hauling a triple tanker road-train.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Big Rig wooden models - my hobby & passion

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bigrigmodels. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your projects.

Those are exceptionally detailed, and you've done some outstanding work there. I can't believe you're able to craft them from timber, and I suspect you're using a lifetime of skills. I trust our other keen woodworking aficionados will be interested to see your trucks and I'm sure you'll receive plenty of attention over them. Let me mention @kel, @Jamespeter100, @woodenwookie, @r23on and @Poppop.

How many hours would you say you put into one of these?

Many thanks for sharing, and I'm sure you have a wealth of knowledge to offer. In exchange, you'll find plenty of inspiration for your projects around the home and garden. Shout out if you ever need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Love the passion for details great work

Hi Mitchell,--- Average hours is about 50 for a standard 'reefer, or flat-top with cab-over at the front.

That BIG Quad in my first couple of photos took me ages, & ages to build,-- actually custom built that one for an ex-Port Hedland Road Train Driver who lives in Burnie, Tasmania. - The hardest part of building the side-tippers so they actually work is getting all the linkages to line-up correctly,-- Yes,- had a few disasters that have ended up in my winter fire wood bin !

I also draw up the full size 1:20 scale plans,- but I don't wish to, " step on anyone's toes, " by saying too much about them on here, just in case I upset the admin.

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

Hi r23on,

Thank you for your compliment.

Poppop
Making a Splash

Wow. They're amazing. Being an ex driver myself a can appreciate your attention to detail. They are a credit to your patience and skill. 

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

Hi Poppop,

Thank you for your compliment.-- About to add a separate post showing more detail of the Side-Tip Quad Road train.

bigrigmodels
Growing in Experience

Here's some more pics of my 1:20 scale Side-Tip Quad Road train.

This wooden model is set to 1:20 scale, ( 1/20th of the real one ).

Starting with the Truck, ( Prime-Mover ),- That is based on a late model Kenworth T909 Tri-drive,- I have all the specs here from the Kenworth website, which I used along with photos of a real tri-drive to enable me to draw up the highly detailed, realistic plans, which I then used to build the truck, plus have truckie friends who own a couple Kenworth T909's as well, which also helps. The frame is cut from good quality 9mm ply, using my scroll saw, while the bonnet is shaped from a decent block of solid timber,- The cabin & bunk sections are cut from 6mm & 9mm ply, while the seats; etc., are simply oddment pieces of timber, &/or ply.

The side-tipper bodies are a heavily modified version of the, " Side-tip iron ore road train, " which I purchased from Ashisworkshop some years ago,  His plans are much smaller, @ 1:27 scale, so did a major redesign & rebuild to suit my big side-tip quad,  The Tri-dollies are all my own design, along with the shorter A-Trailer.

Construction is good quality 9mm ply with nice Red Gum Trim along the upper edges of each tipper body.

The linkage is 90% my design & about 10% of Aschisworkshop as had to do major modifications there.

The tipper bodies & underside frames are relatively easy-to-construct,- but soo time-consuming,- and the most difficult part is getting the Tipping Linkage to line up so it works without sticking & jaming !

As I build these Side-Tip Quads for people to buy from me,- each one takes me weeks & weeks to build,- probably make about two a year as have a disaster or two ever so often & they end up in my winter firewood heap !

The wooden wheels, ( yes - they are real wood ), I have a retired school-teacher who makes them for me, and I simply paint each wheel.

Enjoy the pics,- and if you have any questions,- simply ask.Front view.Front view.Side view,- yes it's L-O-N-G !Side view,- yes it's L-O-N-G !Rear viewRear viewleft side showing the trailers in un-loading position.left side showing the trailers in un-loading position.Right side showing tipping .Right side showing tipping .Close-up of the tipping linkage.Close-up of the tipping linkage.Left side showing all the linkages.Left side showing all the linkages.left rear view of tippng linkage.left rear view of tippng linkage.The shorter A-trailer.The shorter A-trailer.Standard B-trailer.Standard B-trailer.Tri-axle Dolley.Tri-axle Dolley.A real Side-Tip Quad Road train.A real Side-Tip Quad Road train.My friend's Big, New Kenworth T909 close-up.My friend's Big, New Kenworth T909 close-up.Being able to take pics like these are handy,- very handyBeing able to take pics like these are handy,- very handy

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Big Rig wooden models

Hi @bigrigmodels 

Thank you for sharing your amazing Big Rig wooden models with us! 

You are very skilled in what you do and we can tell you love doing it.

Do you hand paint the artwork? 

I especially like your "Bandit" one!

Katie

Re: Here's some more pics of my 1:20 scale Side-Tip Quad Road train.

Hi @bigrigmodels 

This is another impressive model! 

It is so cool how it does the tipping motion and everything. 

Your decision to use the Red Gum as the trim really makes it a feature. 

Can't wait to see your next model. 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects