Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you cut Flexi storage shelves to size?

Jendid
Just Starting Out

Can you cut Flexi storage shelves to size?

Hi, can anyone tell me if the flexi storage floating shelf be cut to size? I want my shelf to go wall to wall in a WC room that is 870 wide, the shelf is 1200. I don’t care that the (cut ends) won’t be “finished“ as they won’t be seen at all. 
TIA

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Flexi storage

I think the 1200 the bracket would be too long to cut that much off.
They do make a 900 which may work.
One of the helpful staff might have a look at the product tomorrow because the instructions are a bit too generic to give bracket sizes and the Flexi Storage web pages are not much use either.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Jendid. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist.

I see you have already received some helpful advice from @Brad which is great. 

I have spoken to the manufacturer and they advise their floating shelves are not suitable to be cut to size. The main issue is the shelves are not a solid timber and the ends provide rigidity to the unit. They also advise there will be extensive damage to the top and bottom sides as their high gloss finish will chip when sawn.

There are Carinya 100 x 76 x 20mm Adjustable Floating Brackets which can be used to construct your own shelf. They require timber with a thickness greater than 24mm similar to 185 x 30mm 1.2m Standard And Better Pine DAR.

If you need further assistance or had questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ok, thanks Mitchell, I now have those things suggested. Can you point me to a good YouTube video, or instructions please? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jendid,

If you follow this link to the Carinya floating shelf bracket product page and then click on instructions it will show you directions for installation. I've included a video below of the process which I trust you'll find helpful also.

Please let me know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects