Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you prefer render or cladding over brick?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you prefer render or cladding over brick?

Before starting work on the renovation of a typical 1980s suburban Australian home, the Make It Happen team had a tough choice with what to do with the exterior. 

So a poll was conducted asking Australians what they would do with the home's facade. 

Personally, I love brick homes and would always recommend people consider keeping brick exposed. But I understand not all bricks are aesthetically pleasing, and red brick in particular is not popular these days.  

Today I'm keen to hear whether you prefer render or cladding.

What would you do with the facade of this home?

You'll be able to find out what choices the Make It Happen team made when the new series kicks off on March 2.

Jason   

FrontFacade.jpeg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Do you prefer render or cladding over brick?

Let me tag some of our experienced members to get the discussion going. 

Do you prefer render or cladding?

@prettyliving@redbournreno@Renowayoflife@lifestylebymari@diy_hausdesigns@Darren      

Carmel1955
Having an Impact

Hi Jason ....reckon i might just paint everything including ceiling and replace the posts with square...maybe crazy sandstone on the concrete ..thats first time round and probably cheaper... then if not happy consider  the cladding and rendering..   cheers Carmel  

redbournreno
Having an Impact

I love the low maintenance that brick provides.  If it is a good quality brick that isn't ugly, then I would avoid covering it in any way.  For this house it's a bit borderline.  If the budget allows I would cover it.  Just painting the brick (properly!) would be a great visual improvement. 

Go back to the style/theme that you have decided on.  If you go with Hamptons or modern Australian then I would clad it.  For other styles then render might suit more.

Hey @Jason 

oooh good question and I know is a hot debate.

I’m personally not a fan of brick and have on a few projects painted it and it was such a transformation. 

I’m always wary of render due to cracking and ongoing maintenance. 

cladding is a great option to completely transform your brick house but comes with a cost.

18069370-DCE9-47FA-AA69-906956D8CA60.jpeg

 this is a project we completed a few years ago. I know paint wasn’t part of the question but it’s a good option so wanted to mention it. 

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

I always love this debate !

Personally it comes down whether the house has more modern proportions. I'd it does render away, however,  I'd keep the brick and paint in this instance. Love the charm of brick but no harm is giving it a fresher look !

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
wooshka
Making a Splash

I have always believed that you need to stay in keeping with era of the house when you a reno, one you render or paint the exterior there isnt any going back, 

we own a 70's era bungalow with the old classic red brick , we were thinking of rendering but neighbours said no! as that how the house should look for what it is 

you may not like it so much but think of who may be buying it , its a bit like painting feature walls in each room , it can polarise people

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

I love the look of brick but as you mentioned @Jason, needs to be the right colour. @Renowayoflife I love white painted brick and think your transformation is just stunning. @Carmel1955 I am totally with you and any excuse to use sandstone I would absolutely take it. 

In the debate of render vs cladding, I would have to vote for cladding. I am excited to see how this turns out, looking forward to March 2nd!

Katie

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I don't like painted brick or render that still shows a brick pattern, I may be a bit OCD...

I think my choices would be brick, render and lastly cladding.

So why am I moving to a rendered and colourbond clad place then? 100sqm workshop helps ease the pain.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm enjoying these discussions. Many thanks to all those community members who have shared their thoughts to date on the house project.  

On the official poll, 51% of Australians said the facade should be rendered, and 49% said cladding. It was a close one!

Today's question is: Would you remove internal arches in the home? Let us know your thoughts. 

Many thanks again for your input: @prettyliving@wooshka@Brad@diy_hausdesigns@Renowayoflife@redbournreno@lifestylebymari and @Carmel1955.    

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects